Bill Gates on Xbox2 ~ Xenon ~ Xbox Next

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Xenon, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Xenon

    Xenon Guest

    http://news.com.com/Gates+taking+a+seat+in+your+den/2008-1041_3-5514121.html?tag=nefd.lede

    <snipped>

    LAS VEGAS--Bill Gates is coming to your living room, whether you like it or
    not.
    Microsoft's chairman is setting the company on a course to provide software
    and tools that will allow different forms of entertainment to blend.
    Messaging will become a crucial part of Xenon, the code name for the next
    Xbox. Microsoft will also work with television outlets like the Discovery
    Channel and MTV Networks to create tools for delivering content, as well as
    advertising, into the home.

    What changes does this mean for Microsoft? Do you see yourself becoming,
    let's say, more of a seller of content?
    Well, the most explosive piece of content this holiday season was "Halo 2."
    We sold 6.3 million copies, we've had 69 million hours of online game play.
    And so is Microsoft a content company? Well, I'd say "Master and Commander"
    is good--people have talked about how the story made them cry--that's
    content, but it's also software.

    The boundary there has always been a bit gray. Our main role is to provide
    the platforms and the tools, and simply partner with the content companies
    like MTV and let them do what they're good at. It's mainly in this
    interactive realm that we need to come in and do some complete content
    ourselves.

    There's a big debate over whether games will surpass movies and TV as a
    bigger portion of revenue in the entertainment industry. What do you think
    will happen?
    Well, there are a couple things to look at. Instant messaging will go from
    just being a text thing to also being voice and video and music, so instant
    messaging, particularly for young people but in general, is very, very
    explosive.

    And Xbox Live is really talking to your friends, doing things with your
    friends. And as we bring in new game titles that are more approachable,
    appeal to different demographics, the boundary between what's game playing,
    what's socialization and what's communication--you will have really broken
    down the barriers there.

    We can make these hot, super great graphics games something that are easy
    for people to use. That's a big initiative we have as we move to the next
    generation of Xbox. Likewise, the connection between the Xbox Live and our
    Messenger will be really simple so people can say, "Hey, come and play,"
    "Oh, okay, I'm finishing my homework, I'm almost done, I'll get on and play
    with you." And so even as they're connected up to each other, they don't
    think of, "Oh no, now I'm gaming, now I'm communicating."

    What are some of the primary goals with Xbox 2?
    Broadening the market, having media capabilities that when there's a PC, we
    connect up to that. This whole story of the Windows Media Connect and how
    all the formats and rights management and that simple Media Center menu
    that's just got TV, photos, music right there--those are common elements
    we're bringing to all the home devices.

    We didn't do Xbox just to do a video game; we did it to be part of our
    vision of the digital lifestyle, and with the next generation, we really get
    to go there. In the first generation, we had one simple goal, which was to
    establish credibility as a great video game platform. We've done that.
    Actually, the last few months in the United States, we outsold Sony with the
    PlayStation. So even though they have the biggest installed base, we are a
    very strong, credible No. 2 in that. As we go into this next generation,
    it's much broader.

    Yes, great video gaming but videogaming for a broader set of people, more
    communications, more media, more connectivity. And at the same time, we move
    up to things like high-definition graphics and wireless that the chip
    breakthroughs allow us to get to.

    So just for the games alone you'd go, wow, but the concept now of bringing
    in your music, your media, connecting to the PC, connecting Xbox Live to
    Messenger--that just makes it a very big deal.

    It's a full entertainment center, basically.
    That's right. So Media Center PC and Xbox become totally complementary.
    You've seen a bit of that, where we let you take music from PCs and put it
    into game titles, and we have this extender concept where the Media Center
    can project through the Xbox, but that's just the start of what we can do
    there.

    One thing that's kind of intriguing in Xbox 2 is you're participating a
    little more on the design of the silicon.
    Well, we have some key partners that we've announced. ATI and IBM are the
    key chip partners, and there are some others. But I'd say our sophistication
    is much higher in this second generation. So every level, what we're doing
    in tools, what we're doing in Live, the way we're working with the
    publishers, the way that we've gotten involved in the hardware design--we're
    being very coy about when and all that, but I'm certainly excited when it
    comes time to show at how much smarter we are getting to do it a second time
    with the team that's been built there.

    Any interest in handhelds?
    We are not in the handheld space. We watch the intense competition of Sony,
    Nintendo, Nokia--whoever comes along with interest. Our portable gaming will
    be focused on things like getting onto the phones, getting onto portable
    PCs, but our Xbox team is focused on the TV-connected console. And the fact
    that Sony's a little distracted with that may let us do all the better in
    the next generation.

    Xenon, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Xenon

    Bobby Guest

    Sounds like AIT will power the new 'Box.

    Damn, I knew I should have bought some shares!

    Bobby

    Bobby, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Xenon

    Chris F Guest

    er, it was confirmed a long ago that ATI would provide the graphics
    chip for the next xbox....

    Chris F, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Xenon

    Xenon Guest

    umm yeah, it was only announced back in August 2003.

    Xenon, Jan 6, 2005