    BIOS?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Michael Brown, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Michael Brown

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi Mike... It states 8MB as in this snapshot.

    http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6678/20061112124103aanc3.jpg

    But that is okay, as it uses up to 128MB shared memory. But with only
    512MB of RAM installed, Windows is only using 64MB for the video. DXDIAG
    reports the same. As seen here:

    http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5374/mx6124videoramsf8.gif

    It you want it to use more shared video memory, you need to add more
    memory. I would think that 2GB would give you 128MB of video memory. But
    I am not sure what would happen with just 1GB of memory. If you ever
    find out, let me know.

    If you are not using Windows OS, I have no idea how shared memory works
    for say something like Linux. If someone knows, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

    BillW50, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Thanks Bill. That is exactly the way mine looks. I've been talking to
    Gateway because it only shows 8MB in the BIOS. My older Gateway shows 32MB
    there. Gateway techs says I should be able to manually change that number.
    then another still says it should change with the RAM I install. Now with
    2GB RAM installed, it should be at the max. They are sending me RMA # to
    send it back to see why it does not. I was just wondering if I was the only
    one that shows 8MB in BIOS.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Michael Brown, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Michael Brown

    BillW50 Guest

    No don't send it in, the tech is mistaken. Check what Windows says it
    is. That should say 128MB. Don't pay attention to what the BIOS says. As
    the BIOS doesn't even need 8MB of RAM to display the information on the
    screen. And once Windows boots it changes it to much higher.

    BillW50, Nov 12, 2006