Bio crashed?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by madflea168, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. madflea168

    madflea168 Guest

    Hello you all,

    I have a HP Pavillion ZD7000, with Windows XP Pro SP2, flashed the Bio
    from v.34 to v.35 about two months ago. was able to access the
    computer 1 week ago, then three days ago, it will shut it self down
    when power button pressed then restart by itself and take about a
    minute to load from HP logo to windows logo, from there takes longer
    than normal to boot up as well.

    in windows, if tried to rename some file, will auto typed "f" in the
    box, in office document key pressed will respond to something else, in
    windows explorer, highlighted file will keep flickering around.

    scan HD with no virus, tried to go into the Bio menu but seems to be
    the keyboard is not responding, can't access the Bio menu, tried take
    the RTC battery out did not seem to reset the Bios, tried to reinstall
    the windows, but will not respond at where to choose recover, quit or
    continue.

    seems to be the keyboard is not working, but how often would have a bad
    keyboard rather than a fried system board?

    base on these infos, please help me here, thank you all.

    madflea168, Feb 24, 2005

  2. madflea168

    bobb Guest

    If KB doesn't work in BIOS, waste of time to do anything else.

    Just MIGHTY curious, what the heck is flashing bios from 3.4v to
    3.5v???? Did u plug in the KB cable all the way <duh!> Try external
    KB?

    bobb, Feb 24, 2005

  3. madflea168

    John Doue Guest

    Bobb,

    You do not know what flashing a Bios is ? And plugging the KB cable of a
    laptop ? Are you on the right NG?

    John Doue, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Indeed, need to solve the keyboard problem first. Check for loose
    stuff inside the keyboard, liquid spills, etc.
    I read this as "three point four volts to three point five volts" the
    first time, but I suspect it's "version 3.4 to version 3.5".
    A very good troubleshooting step!

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 24, 2005
  5. madflea168

    madflea Guest

    the lqptop I got had BIO version 34 on it, then I updated to version 35
    from HP's site.

    I have taken the laptop apart to find the RTC battery and tried to
    reset the board, but it did not seem to work either.

    all the cables are attached for sure, there is no extra jack for the
    KB.

    thank you..

    madflea, Feb 24, 2005
  6. madflea168

    Notan Guest

    Just an FYI, it's BIOS (Basic Input Output System), not BIO.

    Take care!

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 24, 2005
  7. madflea168

    bobb Guest

    I see! The only thing I'd suggest there is to re-read the doc on
    version 3.5 and make sure this is not a specific update for a
    particular model/serie. Can you flash back? Do u need this new
    version?

    bobb, Feb 24, 2005
  8. madflea168

    Andrew Guest

    wrote:
    : the lqptop I got had BIO version 34 on it, then I updated to version 35
    : from HP's site.

    : I have taken the laptop apart to find the RTC battery and tried to
    : reset the board, but it did not seem to work either.

    : all the cables are attached for sure, there is no extra jack for the
    : KB.

    Your laptop BIOS may support a USB keyboard. Not sure if (like a
    mouse) an adaptor would automagically turn your desktop keyboard into
    a USB one...

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Feb 24, 2005
  9. It's a red herring, he did the firmware upgrade months ago, and the
    laptop stopped working days ago. I'm guessing hardware problem with
    the keyboard (staple, liquid spill, etc), but then I'm a hardware
    guy... 8*)

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 24, 2005
  10. madflea168

    bobb Guest

    He said it worked last week, he did not say worked until last week.
    But then what do I know, I only speak technie <G>

    OK, I guess next step: Clean KB.

    bobb, Feb 24, 2005
  11. madflea168

    madflea Guest

    I hardly use my laptop, the KB was very clean no liquid or anything.
    I dunno if I want to spend $40 to get a KB if there is nothing wrond
    with it.

    madflea, Feb 25, 2005
  12. madflea168

    Notan Guest

    On top of the keys or underneath?

    Big difference!

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 25, 2005
  13. madflea168

    bobb Guest

    oh man. If this question had to be asked, it's time to GIT OUTTA
    here... <g>

    bobb, Feb 25, 2005
  14. madflea168

    madflea Guest

    thank you all for all your concerns on these things.

    please tell me if there is a way I can diagonis whether the KB or the
    system board is bad?

    I thought about getting a USB KB, but will it worked before the OS
    boots up?

    thank you.

    madflea, Feb 25, 2005
  15. madflea168

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Ref bio crashing. If you can get a copy of "DISKMANAGER" somehow,
    its an very valuable tool. It can look at your HD and recognize what
    the bio should be and format it etc. I have lost bio quite a few
    times due to dead lithium cells and other maladies. Just grab
    DM as mentioned above and withing a minute or so all is restored to
    normal. Its an "overlay" type tool.
    Kokomo Joe

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
    * Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

    Joseph Fenn, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Your BIOS is referenced before your hd is checked, and has nothing
    whatsoever to do with the hard drive. You can take the drive out of the
    computer, and still reference your BIOS. If you "lose" your BIOS, your
    computer will not boot at all......

    Dan

    Angry American, Feb 25, 2005
  17. madflea168

    John Doue Guest

    Of course, the only way to know for sure ... But, on my ThinkPad R51,
    the USB mouse works before Windows loads (I know because I run System
    Commander). The same might apply to a KB. It is worth a try. If you need
    to buy one for this purpose, nothing prevents you from returning it once
    you have made the test.

    John Doue, Feb 25, 2005