BIOS CHIPS : New Replacement Bios Chips or Re - Flash

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by iCE Flashing iNC, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. iCE Flashing iNC, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Might be easier (and possibly cheaper, if one has or has access to
    the necessary device programming equipment) to simply replace the FLASH
    device with a standard UV EPROM of the appropriate size. I don't know of
    anything other than shortwave UV light that can affect such a device's
    contents under normal conditions.

    An added advantage to such a conversion is that it is not possible
    to write to a UV EPROM anywhere near as easily as you can a FLASH chip,
    and it is certainly not possible to electrically erase and re-write the
    UV device's contents.

    This means that any virii which have the potential to affect the
    BIOS will simply fail to do their dirty work if a UV-based chip is used.

    Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Mar 13, 2006