    Allan Adler Guest

    Is it conceivable that the BIOS of a PC could have some built in protection
    against attempts to copy the BIOS to a floppy?

    Allan Adler, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Allan Adler

    Arno Wagner Guest

    No. The BIOS needs to be readable to the CPU, otherwise it does
    not work. Also, most mainboard manufacturers let you donwload
    BIOS images for upgrade purposes.

    In theory it is possible to protext boot-code, and for
    example in consoles this is sometimes done (e.g. in the Xbox).
    But the PC is an open system, were it would be counterproductive.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 24, 2007