    board with his "wrong" bios but I was wondering if the attempt would do him
    any good.

    Anyone here ever try it?

    Joe, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Joe

    JefN Guest

    | If a friend with motherboard "X" has a bad bios flash can I, with the
    | totally different motherboard "Z" reflash the bios for his motherboard on
    | his chip as long as the chips for both motherboards are the same?
    |
    | I have a BIOS Savior so I am not concerned with any risk of messing up my
    | board with his "wrong" bios but I was wondering if the attempt would do
    him
    | any good.
    |
    | Anyone here ever try it?

    Hi Joe -

    I've done it.

    As long as the chips are identical or are compatible replacements for each
    other it'll work just fine.

    You'll need to add the Force Flash switch ( /F ) to your command line for
    Awdflash.exe.

    Jef

    JefN, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Joe

    0_Qed Guest

    What you describe is quite possible ...
    as long as the eeprom chips are =fully= interchangeable ...
    There 'are' exceptions, but ....

    Depending on the goodness of 'his' boot_block code ,
    and,
    the ability of your mobo/eeprom flasher pgm,
    you may run into problems trying to re_flash the boot_block code.

    'Ty[ically' ... :) ...
    the boot_block code doesnt get whacked ,
    either
    thru a "lock" in the sftwr flasher,
    or,
    thru a hdwr lock out, via one of the pins on the eeprom chip.
    YMMV.

    You mite look at the new ver of Uniflash also ... a Google ...
    has some nice, foot_shooter options.

    :) ... Uniflash is your friend.

    -chip fitments-
    Best use a grnd'd static wrist strap to remove/replace(r&r) the eeprom
    'r&r' done with the pwr removed from the wall plug ... "mains".

    As always , use the appropriate dip/plcc 'r&r' tool , they're cheap.

    -1st boot with the chip-
    =prior= to the boot ...
    Best also to
    properly clear the CMOS memory, =esp= if the new bios '.bin' is an
    upgrade

    -during the re_flash of the chip-
    set the "clear" ESCD flag if the flash pgm has 'such' ...
    theres no telling "what" ESCD code chards were left behind from a
    previous
    attempt at a flash.

    With a non_existant ESCD ( in the eeprom )
    the =next= boot, with the chip,
    aughta call for a complete probe/enumeration of the hdwr ...
    which is normal.

    Good luck with 'it',
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks for the replys. Things like this are good to know, "Just in case".

    Joe, Apr 11, 2005