BIOS FLASH Gone bad - IC7-G - New BIOS Chip

Discussion in 'Abit' started by XP User, Oct 15, 2007.

  1. XP User

    XP User Guest

    Thanks in advance to this group of techies.

    My Buddy flashed his Abit IC7-G that was running great with a P4 3.2,
    1 Gig of Kingston, WD Sata, GF4 128 AGP, Plextor DVD burner, 450 Watt
    PC Power and Cooling PS. After what appeared to be a successful
    flash, he rebooed and Nothing. No video. Powers up the CPU fan,
    Chipset Fan, hard drive hits and then just sits there. We assumed he
    messed up the BIOS chip, so we ordered a new one from Abit, GUESS
    what, SAME THING........
    ..
    I have read this group from top to bottom.

    Taken MB out of case
    Swapped Memory
    Swapped CPU
    Swapped Video
    Delete Key, Insert Key, Battery out, Disconnect PS, Checked all
    connections,
    Replaced PS with new 550w
    Tried a PCI Video Card
    Changed Monitors
    Taken all cards out and disconnet HD, Rom, except Video.
    Moved memory around, tried one slot, tried Dual Channel arrangement
    Even took out BIOS chip and reseated it and put the old one back in.
    No bad burn marks on PS connections, No visible capacito bubbles or
    marks, No smell.

    Just don't understand that everything was working great and now
    nothing. Looking for additional suggestions or help.
    xp user

    XP User, Oct 15, 2007

  2. XP User

    Mark Pryor Guest

    Try a live portable executable like Knoppix.
    You didn't say, but did you flash from Windows?

    Download the Knoppix ISO, burn it to CD, then boot up with it first
    in boot order. Now your system will run from a live OS running from the
    CD, without depending on WinXP or the drive it was installed on.

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/

    Mark Pryor, Oct 30, 2007

  3. XP User

    SumGuy Guest

    How is knoppix meant to work if the machine doesn't POST, or can a linux
    distro resurrect dead machines now?

    @OP
    The PSU may need a HDD connected to make it turn on. Some PSUs require a
    load before they deliver power.

    Was it the same BIOS you flashed with that died before?

    It's been a while since I've flashed an Abit board, does it have a "rescue"
    option, where you place a different BIOS on a floppy or CDROM, then as the
    machine boots if it detects a bad BIOS it will search for another on
    removeable media.

    Someone posted a message before about the flashing 2 boards with the same
    BIOS and it killed them both, can't recall if it was abit or not.

    Apart form clearing the CMOS and making sure the jumpers are set correctly
    it sounds like you've tried everything else.

    SumGuy, Oct 30, 2007
  4. XP User

    XP User Guest

    Thanks guys.

    With no Video or nothing coming up on the screen, I am unable to try
    the first suggestion.
    ..

    It was flashed from Dos with a floppy disk and the only option you had
    was to save your old .rom etc. I am assuming the one we ordered
    was the latest version BIOS ( they state it would be ) so there you
    go.

    I just this week took out the BIOS chip and reseated it to no evail
    and even put the old one back in and still no post. Even tried a
    couple of other CPU's and some additional mem and video cards.

    It appears something has killed a part or power cap. or something.
    Just a shame. It is out of warrenty and I don't have a clue who
    could repair it. I am still open to suggestions. Thanks once
    again.

    XP User

    XP User, Oct 31, 2007
  5. XP User

    Jim Guest

    XP,
    http://www.badcaps.net/
    --

    Jim Lilly
    Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZASS 7.0

    Jim, Nov 1, 2007
  6. XP User

    XP User Guest

    Great pointer. This is a Abit board and apparently they are prone to
    the badcap situation. I also have three or four other boards that
    I might just give them a shot. Thanks again for the lead.

    XP User, Nov 2, 2007