BIOS limit on hard disk size

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Colin and Pauline Vance, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. I have an IBM PC750 6885 as the second computer in a LAN. I recently
    upgraded the hard drive in my main computer to 80GB which released a
    20GB Drive model: IBM-DPTA-372050 for use on the PC750. Unfortunately
    the PC750 BIOS thought the 20GB drive was only 4.16GB.
    On advice from IBM Australia and the ibm.com site, I applied the
    latest - N1JT92A - Flash BIOS update.
    The new BIOS had the same problem as the old.

    After installing the update, following all the instructions, I now
    have Flash EEPROM revision level: N1KT92AUK
    and it still thinks the 20GB drive is only 4.16GB -
    What can be done to make this IBM drive usable on this IBM computer?

    Colin F Vance

    C F & P M Vance
    145 Glencoe-Yalangur Road
    Glencoe
    QLD 4352

    (07) 46300395

    Colin and Pauline Vance, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Colin and Pauline Vance

    derek / nul Guest

    I think you are in IBM's hands here.
    Clone machines had bios limits of 2.1 and 8.4Gb, so I have no idea of what the
    problem could be.

    Your options are 2 partitions or a drive overlay.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Colin and Pauline Vance

    Colin Guest

    Presume you re-loaded the BIOS defaults after the flash.

    If so, an overlay is about the only way. If you partition the drive you
    will end up with 5 which is pretty useless. Google for a suitable one if IBM
    don't have one on their site

    Colin.

    Colin, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Yeah, there's a big gap in the description of changes between 9-May-1997
    and 1-Feb-2000,and nothing particular about hard disk support, other
    than something to do with CDROM compatibility.

    Dated 17-Apr-2003:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-49T4P3

    USC, it seems.

    If you don't want to run a Drive Overlay (A good thing to avoid), then
    buy (new or 2nd hand) an add-in PCI IDE card. There's also a hard disk
    BIOS card, but an IDE card at least gives you more IDE channels.

    Richard Rudek. MicroDek, Sydney, Australia.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    Richard Rudek, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Colin and Pauline Vance

    DeeJ Guest

    Colin,

    If you are going to be running WIN2K or Xp then create the separate
    partions - Load your OS on one and
    once up and running convert the remaining to dynamic disks and create one
    volume which will show up under Windows as one logical drive of approx
    16 Gb or whatever is left ( make sure you format as NTFS tho)

    DeeJ, Sep 5, 2003