    **** MANUFACTURING MODE: LEVEL [ ] ****
    Press Fn-X to return the system to normal running mode.

    Anyone knows how to enter to this "Manufacturing Mode"??

    hddsite, Jul 10, 2005

  2. hddsite

    Fixer Guest

    You cant, its a factory setting thats set when the systemboard is returned
    to the factory as being faulty, they make the repair and send out the board
    again the engineer then installs it and Fn x's it to return it to operating
    mode

    Fixer, Jul 10, 2005

  3. hddsite

    hddsite Guest

    Do u know what can be done in this mode?

    hddsite, Jul 10, 2005
  4. hddsite

    Dan Guest

    Although some engineeres forget this step and a very loud ticking
    sound eminates every time a key on the keyboard is pressed.

    Some Dell CSR's send us out with a motherboard for these calls....very
    nice calls, since they only take 5 minutes to fix, no parts used :)

    Dell probably has very expensive diagnostic equipment that allows them
    to examine the various motherboard components in manufacturing mode.

    Dan

    Dan, Jul 10, 2005
  5. hddsite

    hddsite Guest

    Any ex-Dell CSR there that can tell us what they can do in this mode?
    ;-)...
    Honestly I was thinking that maybe the bios send debug info through the
    serial port or smth like that ;).. I really dont think they need any
    sofisticated equipment...

    hddsite, Jul 10, 2005
  6. hddsite

    S.Lewis Guest

    http://support.dell.com/support/top...us&DN=1023538&l=en&opt=true&s=gen&~mode=popup

    On the older systems (on the user end), it was for clearing the NVRAM (BIOS
    hardware configuration). It could be accessed by moving a mb jumper.

    Judging from a Latitude mb I had replaced onsite recently, it would appear
    that MM might allow a baseline HW configuration to be set in NVRAM before
    the onsite tech uses the included MB CD to set the system service tag or
    asset tag - but that's purely speculation on my part.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 11, 2005
  7. hddsite

    Anton Gusev Guest

    The motherboard on my Dimension 4100 failed a couple of years ago and,
    making conversation, I asked the technician who was replacing the board how
    Dell could set about finding out what was wrong with it, given that it was
    completely dead.

    He mentioned something about switching the BIOS to manufacturing mode and
    hooking the board up to some diagnostic equipment to identify the failure.

    Anton Gusev, Jul 11, 2005