    The bios chip on the mb is labeled with 'phoenix'.

    Does anyone has any info about this mainboard/bios?

    Franky

    Franky Brandt, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Franky Brandt

    davy Guest

    Here are the mobo details-:
    'GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification'
    (http://tinyurl.com/37xhpx) according to them it's a AMI

    I doubt if the freezing on installation of Xp is bios related. You will
    get bios boot and be able to access bios set up screen with just the
    CPU, RAM and graphic card everything else can be disconnected inc. the
    hard drive...

    ... I'm not sure if that mobo has a dual bios or not, if so I think it
    should have detected a bad bios boot.

    When down loading thing's like this it's better to download from the
    manufacturer's rather from elsewhere.

    Davy

    davy, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Franky Brandt

    lkboop Guest

    Another one that insists on fixing something that ain't broke-If you
    screw with it long enough you'll get it in a condition that you 'll
    never get out of.--A situation like this you need to look at the power
    supply FIRST and the capacitors on the motherboard-If it freezes when
    you try to install windows; Why on Earth would you think that it's going
    to be ok when you try to flash the BIOS--DA

    lkboop, Apr 13, 2007
  4. Hmm, well because of the fixed stuff one the latest bios?

    F8 2003/02/24
    System can not boot form ATA-100,133 hard disk with 40 pins cable

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...therboard&ProductID=1306&ProductName=GA-7VKML

    I'm just asking how the bios could be Award when all info i find about this
    mb says it should be Ami.

  5. Franky Brandt, Apr 13, 2007
  6. Franky Brandt

    davy Guest

    Now does this sound like you have a problem????
    So... now all you wanna know is why Award bios and not a AMI.

    They are entitled to make revisions of their mobo's to improve the
    reliability, mine is a GA-7VA rev 1. and still I have no need to flash
    the bios..?

    Why bother what bios it is if it's working, as other post seem's to
    suggest the ol' bios get's blames for just about everything... and if
    you read through these pages, you'll see post after post and.... I
    flashed my bios and... "Help"..!

    You'll find variation's in mobo's as to the revision version.

    Davy

    davy, Apr 13, 2007
  7. Franky Brandt

    davy Guest

    Now does this sound like you have a problem????
    So... now all you wanna know is why Award bios and not a AMI.

    Gigabyte are entitled to make revisions of their mobo's to improve the
    reliability, mine is a GA-7VA rev 1. and still I have no need to flash
    the bios..?

    Why bother what bios it is if it's working, as other post seem's to
    suggest the ol' bios get's blamed for just about everything... and if

    davy, Apr 13, 2007
  8. Now does this sound like you have a problem????
    I think that's pretty clear, of course there is a problem.
    No, that's one of the things i was asking.
    When troubleshooting a pc with only one memory module and one harddisk
    connected and having switched those my next option was to see if there were
    updates for this mb's bios, pretty common to do that i would think so.
    So when it seemed that there were updates i wanted to see if updating the
    bios would help to solve the problem, but after i noticed the manual and all
    online info says it's a ami bios and the one i have here has a award i
    posted my initial post here.
    Now we are getting somewhere!So to repeat my question, are there revisions
    of the GA-7VKML with award bios and where do i find the updates for it.
    Well your GA-7VA rev 1 probably works well then, as i clearly stated the
    GA-7VKML here doesn't.
    I'm all for the "if it aint broke don't try fix it"
    Having assembled/repaired/upgraded/installed thousands of computers i know
    the dangers of flashing a bios; and i agree that it should only be done if
    there is a good reason to it.
    I'm not blaming the bios anything, i just want to find what the problem is
    and the bios is one of several options(others are power supply, cpu, cdrom,
    cables etc)

    Franky Brandt, Apr 13, 2007