BIOS Recovery for Soyo Dragon Plus - DONT SCRAP YOUR MOTHERBOARD

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Techy, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Techy

    Techy Guest

    Hi all,

    Just thought I would share some information with you all.

    Over the weekend I patched my machine with all new drivers etc and the
    only thing remaining was the BIOS !!!!

    So I plucked up the courage and decide to move from ver 5 to ver 8, it
    failed!!!! The Bios flash failed to write one block of data.

    I panicked, worried sick I set up an old machine and started to surf
    for help.... No Joy!!!

    I even tried to order a chip from the US, but couldn't as I live in
    the UK.

    On the verge of giving up I made a boot disk from windows 98 placed
    the old bios (I had saved it) on the disk, the awdflash utility and a
    small autoexec to run awdflash on from the disk and booted the
    machine. It luckly loaded the bios from the Floppy and allowed me to
    re-flash successfully.

    Autoexec.bat

    @echo off
    awdflash.exe filename.bin

    I then bravely flashed it again with version 8 of the bios.

    Machine now working as normal.

    Techy.

    Soyo Dragon SY-K7A
    Crucial PC2100 256Mb *2
    Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm HDD
    Yamaha CRW-F1
    Liteon LTD-163
    Hercules GeForce3 Ti200 64Mb (I think)
    Diamond Sup2560 56K Modem
    Running Windows XP

    Techy, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Techy

    John Guest

    couldn't have said it better myself ~

    John, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Techy

    Techy Guest

    Like I said it wrote most of it except one of the blocks near the end.
    I may have been fortunate in that the boot block was OK as someone has
    said.

    But when I booted the machine with the new bios after the first flash
    nothing happened, no bleeps no sounds no attempted access to the
    drives or anthing, just fans turning.

    The screen also remained off during all of this, so I had no idea what
    was going on, I was working from memory, pressing F1 to accept
    defaults etc, hoping it would startup - but nothing.

    Only after resetting the BIOS via the jumper did it even try to detect
    drives and the floppy but I still had nothing on the screen.

    I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar
    experience.

    Techy, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Techy

    SleeperMan Guest

    Just one suggestion: why not use winflash utility? With it you flash your
    BIOS from Windows and you see right away if flash went wrong and you can
    repeat it. Also you don't have to open your computer as you can set option
    "clear CMOS" and "load BIOS defaults". So, you just flash and reboot. Only
    thing you should do is power-on with insert key pressed if you have some
    slow fan for CPU, otherwise comp will shutdown. Then go into BIOS, set all
    you need and--- voila!!! :)

    I just flashed my D+ from ver 5 to ver 8 exactly same way and it went just
    great!

    For all interested, below is the link for downloading winflash utility.

    http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

    SleeperMan, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Techy

    Japie Guest

    If it fails: w w w . f l a s h b i o s . o r g

    Japie, Aug 25, 2003