    By the way, I have a Bios savior. It is much
    safer in that even if there is a ^pwer failure during the
    flashing process.

    FG, Jun 25, 2005

  2. milleron

    milleron Guest

    1 -- It would theoretically work with any device from which you can
    run AWDFLASH.EXE under DOS -- floppy, optical, hard drive. If you can
    boot a USB key drive to DOS, it could work from that.
    2 -- HOWEVER, remember that in my experience, AWDFLASH refused to
    write to the BIOS Savior (the "checksum-error" problem). With
    EZFlash, my method, it might require a floppy. I'm not really sure
    whether EZFlash can look anywhere other than the floppy drive for the
    ..BIN file. Maybe someone here knows. If not, I'll run it and report
    back.
    3 -- It would theoretically work using the Windows GUI BIOS flasher.
    Of course, that might give the checksum error, too. I've no idea why
    AWDFLASH did that and EZFlash did not, but the Windows flasher might
    go either way.

    It's true that some manufacturers don't include a floppy these days.
    For the rare occasion when you're flashing a BIOS, IF there's no way
    to use EZFlash with an optical drive AND neither of the other two
    methods work, I think it would be easy enough to connect a $9.95
    floppy drive. No need for a mechanical installation -- just put a
    shoe box beside the open case, put the floppy on it, and run the data
    and power cables to it for the few minutes it takes to do this little
    job.

    Lastly, I'll give the time-honored caveat, "YMMV." For me, AWDFLASH
    wouldn't work, but EZFlash worked beautifully. There's no guarantee
    that in another machine the computer gremlins wouldn't prevent both
    those methods from working. If it was the version of AWDFLASH that
    caused it not to work and the particular version of EZFlash that did
    allow it to work, then the situation could change with new releases of
    either. But what do you have to lose by trying. If it doesn't fly,
    RMA the thing to the e-tailer.
    Ron

    milleron, Jun 25, 2005

  3. milleron

    milleron Guest

    What motherboard do you have it installed in?

    Ron

    milleron, Jun 25, 2005
  4. milleron

    FG Guest

    The reference was to A8N-SLI Deluxe's manual -
    but that page number also applies to A7N8X-E Deluxe.

    FG, Jun 25, 2005
  5. milleron

    milleron Guest

    So I take it you have it installed in an A7N8X-E?
    Ron

    milleron, Jun 25, 2005
  6. milleron

    FG Guest

    On both types.

    FG, Jun 25, 2005
  7. milleron

    milleron Guest

    Great!! Please fill us in on your use of awdflash.exe on the these
    two boards. Any problems completing the flash using it? Did you have
    to employ a workaround?
    Ron

    milleron, Jun 26, 2005
  8. milleron

    FG Guest

    Read your manual and detailed instructions below.

    FG, Jun 26, 2005
  9. If you use the EZ-Flash utility built into the BIOS to flash, you can
    see that some of the flash blocks are shown as "No Update". Presumably
    this is the boot block area..

    Robert Hancock, Jun 27, 2005
  10. milleron

    milleron Guest

    There's nothing in any manual about this, and the only "detailed
    instructions below" are the ones I wrote myself. I'm asking if you
    had any trouble using AWDFLASH to program your BIOS Savior. I did,
    and I'm wanting to know if my experience was the exception or the
    rule.
    Ron

    milleron, Jun 27, 2005
  11. milleron

    Paul Guest

    I wonder if AWDFLASH has special case code working in it, so you
    get different responses depending on the motherboard ? Did you
    try /wb to force writing the boot block of the BIOS Savior chip ?
    Would it be complaining about the checksum of the boot block
    on the new chip, or the checksum of the main code area ?

    Now, I just did an experiment, of no particular value. You mention
    how EZFLASH was able to flash the chip, and yet AWDFLASH could not.
    Using a hex edit, I took a look through an A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS file.
    (I happened to have one from a previous experiment.) Files within
    an Award BIOS are delimited by the string "-lh5-". I take two
    characters before -lh5-, on the suspicion they could be a checksum,
    then copy all the code until the next -lh5- string. (I used to do
    this without a hex editor, using "splitawd", but the new BIOS files
    befuddle that program.)

    In the following example, the file name is declared soon after the
    the -lh5-

    %K-lh5-`VØ&@ awdflash.exe

    If I decompress that LHA file (chunk of code delimited by -lh5-
    header), the resulting file left in the folder is "awdflash.exe"
    (no surprise), and it has exactly the same size and checksum,
    as the AWDFLASH that comes with the BIOS file I downloaded (my
    downloaded ZIP file had a BIOS file, a text file, and AWDFLASH
    in it). In other words, in this case AWDFLASH and EZFLASH are
    one in the same animal, and the execution environment must be
    causing different behaviors (such as tolerating checksum errors
    or the like).

    A version string inside the program reads "AwardBIOS Flash Utility
    for ASUS V1.11", so that is not the same program as 8.24b. It
    is 44886 bytes in length.

    So, I think AWDFLASH has capabilities that remain to be tapped...

    It seems the A8N-SLI_deluxe_1009sd02.zip containing its own copy
    of AWDFLASH is no longer available. The flash.txt file included
    in the ZIP file says (and this tells you it was cooked up at
    Asus Germany):

    "ACHTUNG:

    Dieses BIOS darf NUR mit den folgenden Flashtoolversionen
    upgedated werden (oder h–here Versionen) !

    Keine ”lteren Versionen verwenden !

    Warning:

    This BIOS can only be flashed with the following flashtool
    versions (or higher versions) ! Do NOT use older versions !

    - ASUS LiveUpdate v6.05.01
    - ASUS AWDFLASH v1.11

    Flashtools -> ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS"

    and if you go here, this is the same version of awdflash included
    in the 1009sd02 download, as well as being the same file as
    you get when extracting it from inside a BIOS file. This is
    version 1.11 ...

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/DOS/AWDFLASH/awdflash.exe

    Since you have the BIOS Savior, try experimenting with that
    version of awdflash (1.11), and see how it behaves.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 28, 2005
  12. milleron

    milleron Guest

    Wow, what a huge effort!
    I downloaded the 1.11 AWDFLASH, and I'll try flashing the BIOS Savior
    with it.
    More later.

    Ron

    milleron, Jun 29, 2005