    After 5 minutes or so several of the 5 tasks it had launched
    reported 'hardware error - see stress.txt', but I was unable to find
    such a file. Where does it hide it?

    Maurice Batey, Mar 9, 2010

  2. Maurice Batey

    Paul Guest

    Prime95 is not a diagnostic and will not provide the level of
    detail that memtest86+ does. It is an "acceptance test", in that
    if none of the execution threads die, you would then feel fairly
    confident to use it for ordinary activities.

    One of the limitations of Prime95, is it doesn't test all of your
    memory. So in some ways, it is more of a "system test", rather than
    being a tool to guarantee that each and every memory location is
    function. And this is why, as a test, it is complementary to
    the usage of memtest86+. You really need to use both of them,
    to get some level of test coverage.

    Your memory failure patterns are really strange! You'll notice
    some of them, look like the memory locations never got written
    with the test pattern in the first place. It isn't like a single
    bit is at fault in each detected error.

    One of the reasons for me suggesting Prime95, is as a cross-check
    that this is not a problem with the memtest86+ program. After all,
    each time they change a program like that, they can introduce new
    errors. But since both Prime95 fails and so does memtest86+, then
    there is likely a real problem there.

    In CPUZ memory tab, is your command rate 2T ? Based on your memtest
    errors, I might try a 2T setting for the command rate, if the BIOS
    hasn't already selected that. Maybe if the memory was running 1T,
    that would account for some locations simply not getting written.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 10, 2010

  3. But if Prime95 fails, doesn't that indicate a problem somewhere -
    regardless of what memtest says?
    What are the implications of changing this value, please?
    (I.e. what does 'command rate' govern?!)
    Could such a change (to 2T) screw the system?

    In the meantime, the supplier has replied as follows:

    "Please run the same test using MemTest+ 3.4a as there is an issue
    with Version 4 of MemTest throwing false errors."

    I could find no "memtest+" 3.4a version, so I shall try "memtest"3.4a.

    ( I saw a reference to "memtest" not being the same application as
    "memtest+". What is the significance of this difference?
    I also saw mention of 'spurious errors when using memtest 3.5 on
    4GB or more'.

    So first I shall try the memtest 3.4a and see how it gets on...

    Maurice Batey, Mar 10, 2010
  4. Maurice Batey

    Paul Guest

    The memtest series has two authors working on it. One author stopped
    for a period of time, when the other stopped working on it. As far
    as I know, both are working on it now.

    The memtest86+ site has no "version 3", because they know
    the other site is using that number.

    http://www.memtest.org/ Versions: 2.00, 2.01, 2.10, 2.11, 4.00

    The other site is the Brady one. You can find 3.4a here.

    http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

    If Prime95 fails, that is confirmation of a problem.

    If Prime95 had passed, but memtest had failed, then we might
    suspect a problem with the memtest program. In your case,
    both failing confirms a problem exists.

    *******

    Command Rate 1T and 2T, affects setup time for address/command
    setup to clock edge. The setting "2T" puts the address/command
    value on the bus for two cycles, giving it time to settle. The
    value is apparently strobed into the memory chips, on the end
    of the second cycle. This gives plenty of setup time to clock
    edge, and is preferred for extremely high clock speeds.

    Command Rate 1T is a more aggressive setting. It would work
    typically with two memory DIMMs, one per channel, and at
    more reasonable clock speeds. As the speed of the DIMM goes up,
    at some point it makes sense to switch to 2T. The BIOS should be
    doing this automatically.

    You can use CPUZ to verify the Command Rate is either 1T or 2T.

    On some chipsets, only Command Rate 2T is supported (the relaxed one).
    And the hardware may not have any mechanism to report this. So we
    rely on supposition, that this is the case.

    Also note - when you see a setting in the BIOS, that does not
    prove the capability exists. A BIOS may show four settings
    for a hardware parameter. The actual hardware may only support
    two of those values. It is quite easy for the BIOS setup screen
    to tell a lie. That is why programs like CPUZ are important,
    to verify the truth. I have one motherboard here, where the
    timings you set in the BIOS, aren't the ones listed in CPUZ.
    It means I have to be careful when making changes.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 10, 2010
  5. I have now run memtest86 3.4 for just over 3 hours, at which
    point it locked solid - the 'wall time' not moving and not
    responding to any control keys.

    If you point your browser at the URLs below you will see photo's
    taken after 4 errors had been found, then 8 (always on test #5),
    then after it locked up. At that point, the error count for
    test#6 was rapidly cycling up to 32767 - over and over...

    http://www.maurice99.ukfsn.org/memtest3.4-1.JPG
    http://www.maurice99.ukfsn.org/memtest3.4-2.JPG
    http://www.maurice99.ukfsn.org/memtest3.4-3.JPG

    I've similarly informed the supplier (also about prime95), and await
    their next move...

    Maurice Batey, Mar 10, 2010
  6. Maurice Batey

    Paul Guest

    I like the "errors per memory slot" feature of that version.
    I haven't used the Brady version in years.

    Did you notice that only one "slot" has errors and the
    other one doesn't ? Interesting.

    The program actually moves its code segment out of the way,
    in order to carry out a test on the memory area the program
    is resting in. That is why there is a short test period and
    a long test period, per each test. The "freeze" may have happened
    when the code got moved, and maybe the code was corrupted.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 10, 2010
  7. Yes - but as the test hadn't finished (how long might it take?!)
    who knows what it might have found on the 2nd slot...

    Maurice Batey, Mar 10, 2010
  8. It says "2T", but I can't find anything in the BIOS manual about
    it, or in the BIOS Setup menus.

    It's also showing 5-5-5-15 for DRAM Timing Control.

    Maurice Batey, Mar 10, 2010
  9. Maurice Batey

    Paul Guest

    Memtest runs forever. It'll run until you stop it.

    I was noting that only one of your DIMMs is reporting errors.
    At least, that is what the Brady program is claiming in its
    test output. Figuring out which DIMM is which, isn't trivial
    in software, so there is still some room for doubt, when the
    program shows you such a result. It requires the software
    author to know exactly how addresses map to memory sticks.

    It is one of the reasons I recommend to people, that they
    install one DIMM at a time, if they are interested in
    identifying for sure that a DIMM is bad. You don't need
    to worry about that, as you will likely be using your
    warranty services. And they'll have to figure it out.

    One other thing. Any time you have a computer, where you
    send it out for service, *always* back up any personal
    data on a disk you can keep at home. There have been
    numerous horror stories of sending a computer to "the geeks",
    and having the hard drive erased. Even though the hard
    drive had nothing to do with the problem, some places
    will just "level and reload" no matter what. If you have
    files on there, or even wish to image the entire disk, do it
    before sending the machine back. If there is nothing of
    value on the new disk, then don't worry about it.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 11, 2010
  10. Yes, indeed! I have an easy way of keeping my desktop in sync with
    laptop, for use when away from base.
    Also, I keep a regular external-drive backup of all files on the
    desktop, so I would be able to re-create the system.

    So while the PC is 'away', I shall just soldier on with the laptop,
    and re-sync when it returns.

    (They offered to send replacement RAM, but I accepted the alternative
    of (free) collection and return instead.)

    Maurice Batey, Mar 11, 2010
  11. Maurice Batey

    Paul Guest

    At least you have a second machine. That takes some of the pain out
    of waiting for it to be returned.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 11, 2010
  12. They now tell me it was a faulty CPU (Intel Q8300) - not memory - so awaiting
    new stock of that so can fix and return the PC...

    (Under warranty)

    Maurice Batey, Mar 31, 2010
  13. They now tell me it was a faulty CPU (Intel Q8300) - not memory - so are
    awaiting new stock of that so can replace and return the PC (under warranty).

    Maurice Batey, Mar 31, 2010
  14. Apology for duplicate posting that escaped via careless finger tip...

    Maurice Batey, Mar 31, 2010