    Aggressive or Turbo settings be used without problems?

    Thanks,
    Lutrell

    Lou, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Lou

    Flow Guest

    You should set each setting individually according to the systems components
    specs.
    Otherwise you could get a system failure.
    So quality memory can take more agressive settings then cheap memory.
    If you set some too high you risk damaging those components because they get
    too hot.
    So i would say expertmode is the way to go.

    Flow, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Lou

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You don't name your motherboard. Is it a Soltek perchance? Good board if it
    is.

    ~misfit~, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Lou

    Lou Guest

    No, its a cheapy actually. Chaintech CT-7NJL3, nForce 2 with 512MB Samsung
    PC2100.
    I was wondering if the different settings (aggressive,turbo,expert) actually
    changed the speed and if so is it a lot or do they have minimal effect?

    Lutrell

    Lou, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Lou

    Flow Guest

    Yes,agressive timings for memory can give you a performance boost.
    But with pc2100 i don't think you get far.
    Maybe it runs at hclk+33 = 333mhz. but you really need pc2700 for that.
    Just try it,but i must say i never used the optimum bios setting feature.
    Try to find info for your mainboard by visiting forums dealing with it.
    There you most likely find answers about what settings are best,set them
    individually to obtain the fastest and stable configuration your system can
    have.

    Flow, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Lou

    Lou Guest

    Lou, Dec 20, 2003
  7. panic panic :eek:

    my youngest son was fiddling around on the bios which came on as w
    had shut the computer down wrongly, and he believes he changed a
    option that allowed him to choose optimal or turbo - and he change
    the option from optimal to turbo. the problem is that now th
    computer starts up but the screen does not turn on - it just stay
    black

    im really worreid about this because it says in this thread it ca
    damage the components inside the computer. my motherboard is an asu
    a7v333 (i think) and hte bios is an award bios? - my son als
    believes the option he changed was on the advanced tab? he is usuall
    quite computer literate but obviously this hasn't worked as he hoped

    the computer had not been on for a very long time at all afte
    changing the bios - so i dont think that the components could hav
    heated up that quickly. i was wondering what i can do to change th
    setting up as the screen never comes on for me to go back to the bio
    :( thanks for ur help in advance, and i hope to become a more commo
    name on this forum (it showed up in a google search ;)

    if it would help, i was guessing resetting the CMOS might work? ho
    would i go about that if thats hte only optio

    kitchenutensils, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Lou

    Larry Weak Guest

    You have to open up the case and find the clear cmos pins - jumper them to
    clear then remove jumper( or place back in default area) before starting up
    again. Should point out turn off machine and unplug before you do. Some
    machines also want the cmos battery removed for a few minutes to clear.

    Larry

    Larry Weak, Apr 6, 2006
  9. Lou

    Paul Guest

    You look in the manual for the instructions on how to do it.

    Every motherboard has some slight difference in the procedure
    and on some motherboards, it is possible to burn the ORing diode
    that selects CMOS battery or +5VSB powering source. To prevent
    that from happening, the computer should be unplugged before
    doing the clear CMOS operation.

    The proper procedure is documented in this correction to the
    user manual. See page 3.

    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt333/a7v333/ie1010_a7v333.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Lou

    Paul Guest

    Oh, and "Turbo" is typically used when you have CAS2 memory
    installed in the computer. AFAIK, Turbo forces the memory
    controller to use CAS2 timing. If the memory is a CAS2.5
    or CAS3 memory, you'll get a black screen and a refusal to
    start.

    To avoid this problem, I recommend setting the memory timings
    manually. I say that, because settings like Turbo are never
    documented, so there is no way to know what they are doing.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 6, 2006