BIOS-setup-problem / RAM-upgrade-problem with Kayak XW/450 W3

Discussion in 'HP' started by J?rg, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. J?rg

    J?rg Guest

    Hi,
    I've a HP Kayak XW/450 W3 with 512 MB RAM (4 memory modules 128MB
    ECC PC100) and two PIII/600MHz. It works fine - with some little
    problems:

    1. My BIOS version is HK.11.09 from June, 10th 1999. With this I have
    a problem: I can't come into Setup with the F2 key, when I press the
    key, the start procedure runs till the Setup has to come, but then the
    screen is black and nothing more happened. I only can press
    Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. A second and third BIOS-Update doesn't
    effect.
    The Helpdesk from HP can't do anything for me, they say that I have to
    make a 'bios crisis recovery', after this a CMOS-Clear. I did it step
    by step with a manual from the Helpdesk, but it doesn't solve this
    problem.

    2. I want to upgrade to 1 GB with 4 modules 256MB ECC PC133 reg.
    These modules aren't HP-certified but made by Infineon. They are
    compatible with a fsb of 100 MHz, I tested it in my computer at home.
    They also are completely o.k., the BIOS counts to 1023.
    My problem is, that at boot time, when I press Esc, I can see the BIOS
    checking
    the memory, but only up to 511. The MaxiLife LCD display on front of
    the station finds four dimms of 128MB each. The Kayak started without
    any problems the OS and works fine, but only with 512 MB RAM.
    The Helpdesk from HP say that I have to take HP-certified memory with
    an fsb of 100 MHz, but I think that's not the right way, because the
    modules are compatible with 100 MHz (I mailed to Infineon!).

    Has anyone an idea?

    J?rg, Oct 22, 2004

  2. On the seventh day, J?rg wrote...
    I fear I can't help you with that. My suggestion would be to do a CMOS
    clear and reflash with an older BIOS if possible. Do a CMOS reset. Reflash
    with the newer BIOS. Do a CMOS reset. Might not help, tho, and may be
    caused by a hardware malfunction. Can you remove all cards and swap out the
    graphics adaptor?
    Almost certainly caused by RAM modules with too dense memory modules. Your
    memory modules need to be double sided and need to have at least 16 chips.
    In my X550, such memory modules run fine.

    HTH

    He is no mere stranger. Heis Aragorn son of Arathorn, you owe
    him your allegiance - Legolas

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Oct 22, 2004