    If no password is enabled in the BIOS, there is no hang after the SATA BIOS loads and scans. If the "setup" (BIOS tampering) password is enabled in BIOS, there is no hang. However, if the "system" password is enabled, it hangs.

    Having no BIOS password to prevent bootup without it means no security (for non-NT based Windows). Having the password only to prevent tampering of the BIOS is nice but not the goal here. I can go to Abit's BIOS update download web page at http://snipurl.com/5g8q but there are some problems there. Users are complaining about the version 21 of the BIOS having problems with the SATA BIOS contained therein (version 4.2.43). Those users primarily seem to have difficulties either when using RAID or when using Seagate SATA-only drives. I only have one WesternDigital 120GB drive so neither apply to me, but a flaky BIOS is something that I'd prefer to avoid. There is a version 23 of the BIOS listed on this web page and it lists NF7-S revision 2.0 as supported. Yet if you start at its product page (http://snipurl.com/5g8u) and click on the "BIOS Update" link, you're shown a version 24 BIOS update; however, that is for the version 1.0~1.21 of the mobo and I have version 2.0. I thought when I looked a couple months back that version 23 was also *not* for the version 2.0 of this mobo, but maybe that's changed.

    So who has version 21 or 23 of the BIOS installed on the NF7-S version 2.0 motherboard? Of those, could you check if configuring the Security Option to use the "system" password and then entering a non-blank password gets you past the SATA BIOS load without the hang (requiring a keystroke to continue)? No point in flashing the BIOS to get a newer version of the BIOS if the newer versions still have the same defect. Much appreciated.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 1, 2004

  2. *Vanguard*

    Mark H Guest

    password works normally with the new bios23

    Mark H, Apr 2, 2004

  3. *Vanguard*

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Mark H" said in news::
    Just to verify: You did enable the BIOS password, right? And it was
    configured as the system password, right? And there was no hang after
    the load of the SATA BIOS? If so, woo hoo, looks like I'll be flashing
    .... my BIOS, that is.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 3, 2004
  4. *Vanguard*

    Mark H Guest

    Abit has included the MD5 checksum for d23- system password stops at the
    memory check post-asks for password and boots normally. i've never tried
    any previous bios for system password.

    Mark H, Apr 3, 2004
  5. *Vanguard*

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Mark H" said in news::
    I just flashed the system BIOS to version 23. It didn't help. If I
    enter a password AND configure it to be the "system" password then it
    hangs after the SATA BIOS load (if loaded; the new version lets you opt
    to not load it but I need it since my lone hard drive is attached to
    it). So, for now, I configure to use it as a "setup" password and just
    ensure no one accidentally changes the BIOS settings.

    Thanks for the help, anyway.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 3, 2004
  6. *Vanguard*

    borolad Guest

    Lunchtime coffee for me, a quick flick around reveals :-

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/?testdisk.html
    http://www.moonlightcomputers.homel..., NT passwords - Data recovery_files/menu.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/lautuan/PASSWORD_HACK_overview/PASSWORD_HACK_overview.htm

    This " CmosPwd 4.3 is a cmos/bios password recovery tool. CmosPwd is
    under GNU Public License. You can freely distribute it." from here:

    info : http://www.cgsecurity.org/
    prog : http://www.cgsecurity.org/cmospwd-4.3.zip

    BoroLad

    borolad, Apr 5, 2004
  7. *Vanguard*

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "" said in
    So, by inference, what you are saying is that besides physically locking
    down the box then I also need to configure the BIOS to *NOT* allow
    booting from floppy (and maybe from CD-ROM drive, too) so someone can't
    walk over with a bootable floppy/CD to run their cracker program.

    *Vanguard*, Apr 6, 2004