    this PC. Now I can't get into the BIOS setup program or boot the OS on the
    HDD. I have tried a few "obvious" passwords, but haven't yet found what it
    is expecting. Any ideas?

    Matthew, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Crisis averted (I think): I downloaded and read through the manual for the
    D865GBF board, and discovered that it has a BIOS mode jumper, one of the
    settings for it causes the system to go straight to the BIOS setup program,
    bypassing the passwords, where there is an option to clear all the
    passwords.

    Now that problem has been resolved, I have to try to figure out why it now
    won't detect the HDDs on the primary IDE connector even though they were
    working fine before the BIOS update...

    Matthew, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Matthew

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    I've see the password trick on one BIOS upgrade for an D875PBZ. Did the same
    workaround as you. I've also see other (infrequent) postings here with the
    same symptom. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

    On the primary IDE HD's are you using Cable Select or Master/Slave settings
    on the drives? If Cable Select, try changing over to Master/Slave. If you
    are already using Master/Slave, I have no other suggestions.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    problem with the on-board IDE controller.

    Matthew, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Matthew

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    IIRC, it is the recommended first step after flashing the BIOS and the last
    step just prior to flashing the BIOS is writing down the settings.

    Good to hear it's working again.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Matthew

    JAS Guest

    BIOS if it gets corrupted or locked up usually will not read the IDE
    drives correctly. The resetting the default simply resets BIOS.

    JAS, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Matthew

    Elar Saar Guest

    In BIOS setup press F9 to load default settings. Exit with "Exit and
    save settings" and you are done.

    Elar

    Elar Saar, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    If this is an "official" recommendation from Intel as part of the procedure
    for updating the BIOS software, then I do not remember seeing any mention of
    it in the release notes accompanying the file I downloaded from Intel.

    It is certainly something I shall keep in mind should I ever need to update
    BIOS software in the future, though.

    Matthew, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Matthew

    Bob Bailin Guest

    No, it's not. What Intel recommends is that before you upgrade, you
    save the current settings under "Save Custom Defaults" on the Exit menu.
    Then, after you upgrade, load the Optimal Defaults and save, then load
    the Custom Defaults and save. This has the effect of setting any new
    features to a reasonable default setting while preserving your old settings
    as much as possible.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Oct 19, 2004
  10. But wouldn't "custom" simply overwrite "optimal," or is custom literally
    only the things you've changed (as opposed to all the current settings as
    they were when you saved them)? I always assumed it was the former, but if
    it's the latter, that's nice.

    Does anyone know why this problem happened in the first place? I've never
    made such a large jump as he did (15 revisions), which conceivably might
    have something to do with it, but I've flashed countless times and have
    never seen this happen.

    Milhouse Van Houten, Oct 20, 2004