    software, mostly I use Office and little else.

    Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
    first too.

    Joe Zorzin, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Joe Zorzin

    David Nimon Guest

    Well, I finally updated my bios on a 4600 purchased last November from A06
    to the current A10.

    Upon completion, it did NOT say "relax, David, you can start breathing
    again!" <g> but it **does show A10** as the bios version.

    So I guess it went ok.

    Now then, my next step is to finally install XP2. I've tried to do 'all the
    right things' and bought a Maxtor one-step and backed up my hard drive. But,
    the one-step comes with the most useless softwate (Dantz Retrospective 6.0)
    in the world.

    I'm inclined to reformat the Maxtor and but decent backup s/w for future
    use.

    David Nimon, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Joe Zorzin

    Don Taylor Guest

    There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
    that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.
    The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
    was not necessary.

    You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
    old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

    Don Taylor, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Joe Zorzin

    Gmom Guest

    Gmom, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Always update to the latest BIOS...forget the old wives tales.
    Keep SP2's firewall.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Do imaging like Ghost or www.acronis.com

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    It's likely true but ONLY if one has a Prescott, Celeron D or Extreme
    Edition CPU.
    Update the BIOS anyway.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Joe Zorzin

    Dick Guest

    I just finished installing SP2 on my four machines. No apparent
    problems, and wireless networking is just fine. One a Dell 4550, a
    Dell 4100, an HP zx5078 laptop, and a 9-year old, home-built, P1-233
    SuperMicro with a 9 year-old bios. The Dell's are running XP Pro.
    The other two, XP Home. All are working just fine.

    Dick

    Dick, Sep 7, 2004
  9. Joe Zorzin

    Don Taylor Guest

    Well, see, my generally excessive cautions may have paid off.
    I went to find the exact newsgroup posting that I based mine on.
    This is what I just found with a google newsgroup search:
    http://www.google.com/groups?q=dell...=&rnum=1

    From: Torgeir Bakken (MVP) ()
    Subject: Re: Blue screen of death after XP SP2 upgrade...
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Hi

    Here is what Dell responded to us about the D600 laptop rumor:

    <quote>

    On Monday a Dell customer posted a dire warning on a listserve
    concerning BIOS issues with the D600 and Windows XP SP2.

    This has now made it's way onto the Dell Talk Forums and is
    being repeated at an alarming rate.

    Dell engineering has gone back and tested the D600 using numerous
    prior versions of BIOS and cannot reproduce the issue.

    To date, there are no known issues with any Dell systems and BIOS
    related to XP SP2.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    SP2 has turned into a zoo with everybody pointing fingers at everybody
    but themselves.

    Don Taylor, Sep 7, 2004
  10. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Note the Dell website article has a date of 8/27 and the post about an
    earlier Dell email was 8/31. This issue has been relatively fast breaking.
    Therefore the two are not at great odds with one another..big company.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  11. Joe Zorzin

    Don Taylor Guest

    I tend to agree. There are all kinds of people running around shrieking
    that they know the real poop and everybody else is wrong. One swore that
    second level management at Microsoft promised him there would be a new
    version of SP2 out at the end of the month, presumably to make up for the
    recent events. Others swore even more loudly that this was impossible
    and he had no idea what he was talking about or that it was just one
    more, uh, I think he wrote "phone dweeb just trying to get you off the
    line so he can maintain his quota."

    I'd DEARLY love to see the number of people with problems in SP2 when
    a randomly selected group of 10,000 were polled, the real data.

    Don Taylor, Sep 7, 2004
  12. Joe Zorzin

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Talk about "old wive's tales" ..... This is possibly the worst piece of
    advice I've seen yet in this ng. Even Dell will tell you that you should
    only upgrade to the latest BIOS if there is a feature or fix that you need
    or want. Otherwise, forget it. You will gain nothing at the risk of total
    failure (and yes, it can and has happened)....

    Hank Arnold, Sep 7, 2004
  13. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Small percentage would be the result. Most find it works just fine.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  14. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Clueless. Dell now has a webpage saying that all should flash the mobo BIOS
    before SP2. That webpage is cited in THIS thread.

    All knowledgeable techies have been saying for years now to always flash the
    latest mobo BIOS. Come out of the dark ages and old wives' tales. Tech
    support for any company always tells customers what is in the company's best
    interests and NOT what is in the customers best interests. The company
    wants to avoid the tiny percentage of miscreants that will get a failed mobo
    BIOS flash. The company does not care about all the debugging and hassles
    that will ultimately be suffered by its customer base for NOT having the
    latest BIOS.

    Talk to any good PC techie and you'll find all the good ones having been
    flashing the latest BIOS as soon as it comes out for years now.

    Call tech support or start debugging a problem and the first questions is
    always "latest version" and that INCLUDES mobo BIOS.

    Wht don't you leave the folks in the NG be with your incompetent trolling.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  15. Joe Zorzin

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Do you have anything more to do with your time than fight with people over
    BIOS updates? By now everyone has heard your opinion. It's time to move on.

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 7, 2004
  16. Joe Zorzin

    S.Lewis Guest

    Must we? I was really enjoying watching any trace of credibility vaporize so
    spectacularly.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 7, 2004
  17. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Yes, there does seem to be a general paucity of true PC experts in this NG.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 7, 2004
  18. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Isn't he the BIOS nazi from Seinfeld???? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 7, 2004
  19. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, it seems you have two choices:

    1. Lift up the quality of the tech info in this newsgroup with useful
    information instead of rants against other people. And, maybe while you're at
    it, explain what it is that makes your comments so superior to others.
    2. Go and troll another newsgroup.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 7, 2004
  20. Joe Zorzin

    History Fan Guest

    When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
    my
    I never turn off the Windows Firewall, or its predecessor, Internet
    Connection Firewall. In fact, I didn't disable anything before upgrading
    the BIOS on my Dell 2400. The instructions I printed out from Dell didn't
    mention anything about that.

    History Fan, Sep 7, 2004