  1. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Maybe, flash the mobo BIOS and be happy and run SP2.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Joe Zorzin

    Notan Guest

    ZA's freeware version doesn't "run out," and is still more versatile
    than Microsoft's.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Whether or not the firewall asks for IE 6.0 or IEXPLORE.EXE is splitting hairs.
    Yes, you're right that Zone Alarm and other firewalls that check outgoing
    traffic will ask the user about IEXPLORE.EXE by its executable program name, not
    its function. Yes, it sure would be nice if the firewall asked nicely whether
    Internet Explorer was allowed to access the internet, rather than asking about
    the executable program name.

    My point was to distinguish between IE 6.0 and IE 6.1 as examples where the
    firewall knows the difference between an older version and a newer version of
    the same executable program, because it keeps track of the properties of the
    program.

    Yes indeedie, telling the firewall that IE can have access to the internet DOES
    open up IE to all manner of evil varmints. This is EXACTLY the same as if one
    were using the XP SP2 firewall instead. With the XP SP2 firewall in place, IE
    or any other program) has free and unobstructed access to the internet. IE's
    Internet Options allow the user to lock down some of the security, blocking the
    use of potentially harmful usage.

    Did I not make it clear that you only have to tell ZA or Norton firewall once
    that a program is authorized to access the internet? Sheesh! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    No, it requires separate install, care and feeding beyond MS's Automatic
    Update.

    SP2's firewall plus good virus checker plus a good adware checker is all
    that's needed.

    I suppose that a summation of my position is that the virus checker and
    adware checker should be just ONE program ......and included in SP3.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    I haven't run into a firewall feature that allows flexible controls over
    networking apps, constantly being recompiled with new versions. My guess is
    that Checkpoint or some other vendor of truly heavy duty workgroup or enterprise
    firewalls may have this sort of feature. The consumer-oriented firewalls have
    an option to suspend (or resume) all firewall monitoring activity.

    My clients consist of home and small business users, up to 50 computers.

    Most of them would pass tests such as:

    InternetExplorer.exe is trying to access the Internet... allow?
    WindowsUpdate.exe is trying to access the Internet... allow?

    It takes a little explaining, but anyone who has valuable personal business or
    personal data (or programs) on a computer is usually all ears, especially after
    the first incident of varmints inside their computer. It's really not all that
    difficult. Most people tend to use the same programs over and over to access
    the internet: a browser, an email package, (maybe) a freestanding FTP package,
    (maybe) a freestanding newsreader, and so on. And a high percentage use only IE
    and Outlook/Outlook Express... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Joe Zorzin

    Notan Guest

    RON! STOP TALKING AND LISTEN!

    SP2's firewall is not *the* way to go, when other, better firewalls
    are available.

    ZA has the option of checking for automatic updates, each time it
    loads.

    I'm not pushing ZA, per se, just trying to get you to listen to a
    voice other than your own.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    That would help nothing.
    Huh, and that relates to what?

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Some decisions are so easy...PLONK.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar aka Rocky, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    To the clueless..not a chance. garner more computer expertise before
    spouting.
    "other" is the problem. Any fundamental OS feature should be included in
    the OS and if it's even close to being included in the OS then USE IT. Your
    mindset would take us back to Netroom and Stacker hell.
    Once the neophyte ever figures out about the existence of ZA and installs
    it...just NO!
    You are pushing 3rd party OS support apps...they should be avoided WHEREVER
    POSSIBLE.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Joe Zorzin

    Notan Guest

    Fine, Ron. You're right, everyone else is wrong.

    I'm more than happy to leave on that note.

    See ya!

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 9, 2004
  11. Joe Zorzin

    Ted Guest

    OK, now that you've provided a summation of your position, would
    it be too much to ask that you stop running around and spewing like
    an impertinent fanboy who has the One True Answer (tm) for
    everything?

    Your insults and jabs, overly dismissive and overly simplistic blanket
    statements, and tendency to repeat yourself are an impediment to
    meaningfull discussion/debate.

    Ted, Sep 9, 2004
  12. Joe Zorzin

    Hank Arnold Guest

    My experience is the exact opposite..... I **NEVER** turn off AV software
    (multiple versions of NAV) and have never had a problem installing
    software..... I will not turn off AV for any reason..... Period....

    Hank Arnold, Sep 9, 2004
  13. Joe Zorzin

    Joe Zorzin Guest

    OK, then what is it? And, why don't manufacturers put the name of the chip
    on their invoice? It lists everything about the computer, but not the chip-
    as if to say that most users don't need such esoteric info- but we do if we
    want to upgrade, so it should be on the invoice.

    Joe

    Joe Zorzin, Sep 9, 2004
  14. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Actually, it would make the firewall easier to use, identifying the program by
    its well known name instead of an EXE name.
    That relates to ones relative safety in using a firewall that monitors outgoing
    traffic. It's a useful feature for a firewall to be able to tell apart
    different versions from one another.

    But I forgot. I seem to be responding to a person who espouses use of Microsoft
    and only Microsoft products 24/7. Look where that approach has gotten the
    industry! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2004
  15. Joe Zorzin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Name brand computer manufacturers have hardly ever used Intel internal code
    names for chips on their invoices. "Prescott" is an unofficial-official Intel
    code name. In other words, Intel plays it both ways with its code names.

    For the most part, only the CPU pinout, FSB, CPU speed, and internal cache size
    appear on invoices, plus today's current market names of Pentium 4 and Celeron.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 9, 2004
  16. Joe Zorzin

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    About 5-8 years ahead or where it would have been without MS.

    Ron Reaugh, Sep 9, 2004
  17. Joe Zorzin

    Joe Zorzin Guest

    So which one do I have? Or, how would I find out? I know, I know, go to
    Dell's web site- but I enjoy getting enlightened from you guys. <G>

    Joe Zorzin, Sep 9, 2004
  18. Joe Zorzin

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I haven't run into a firewall feature that allows flexible controls over
    ZA has a "changes frequently" setting for apps that are regularly updated

    Colin Wilson, Sep 9, 2004
  19. Joe Zorzin

    WSZsr Guest

    You have an Intel 8088.