Biostar motherboard locks up during boot when using USB hub

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Mr Mike, Mar 18, 2007.

  1. Mr Mike

    Mr Mike Guest

    I have a BIOSTAR U8668D motherboard that locks up during the boot
    process. I get the following information:

    Phoenix... U8668D v5.5 Bios v c23

    Main Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60 GHZ
    Memory Testing : +

    Where normally it would read something like "Memory Testing : DDR333
    (1.5 GB)".

    I have three options at the bottom of the screen:

    F8 -
    F9 - Select boot device after post
    Del - Setup

    None of which work.

    I have tried clearing CMOS, a new battery and reseating memory without
    any progress.

    After some expermenting, it appears that this happens when using a USB
    hub with 3 devices attached.
    If I remove the hub and plug one device in, the PC boots fine.

    Any ideas as to the problem or why this happens?
    Mr Mike, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Mr Mike

    I'm having exactly the same problem with my P4M80-M4 motherboard. Does
    anyone knows the answer to this problem?
    , Mar 25, 2007

  3. Mr Mike

    davy Guest

    You say connecting one usb device is ok... what happens with 2

    Was thinking that with three usb devices on one hub there just might be
    too much power drawn. There is a 5 Volt dc supply on the usb hub, if
    there is some form of over-current sensor on the mobo (to prevent mobo
    damage) it could well be the answer.

    There is alway's a possibility one of the devices could be faulty.

    davy, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Mr Mike

    Wally Guest

    It may be trying to boot from usb (selectable from some Bios)or the hub
    is defective dragging down the 5 volt regulator. Try a Powered usb hub.
    Wally, May 12, 2007
  5. Mr Mike

    I have an USB powered Hub. It still freezes when the hub is connected
    during booting. If I disconnect the Hub, the computer starts OK. Any
    , May 23, 2007