Biostar Tforce 4U problem with starting my PC after duel core upgrade.

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by number3, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. number3

    number3 Guest

    To make a long story short. After swapping my 89 watt opteron 148
    (single core 2200mhz) for a 110 watt opteron 180 (duel core 2400mhz)
    my computer no longer responds to the start button on my case. The
    system started normally after the BIOS updates needed for dual core
    support on my socket 939 Biostar Tforce 4U (NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
    chipset). The only change I made was the new CPU, and when I went to
    start my computer the power button did not work. After 5 minutes of
    pushing the power & reset buttons I was about to give up when it
    suddenly came on. Runs fine and stable once started and even
    overclocks stable to at least 2800mhz at stock voltage. Once started I
    can restart and go into the BIOS and change the settings to restart on
    power failure. Now I start my computer by turning the power supply on
    & off until my machine fires up.
    I just replaced my old 500 watt power supply with a new 500 watt
    supply today thinking that might be it.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

    System specs
    socket 939 Biostar Tforce 4U (NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset) mainboard.
    Opteron 180
    1 gig Mushkin PC4400 ram (2 x 512)
    2 DVD burners
    2 HDD's
    floppy
    NVIDIA 6800gs PCIe video card
    High def TV card

    My old opteron had been running fine at 2750mhz (10 x 275) for over
    two years in this system.

    number3, Apr 7, 2008

  2. number3

    Augustus Guest

    You did, of course, install the AMD Dual Core processor driver?

    Augustus, Apr 11, 2008

  3. number3

    number3 Guest

    Problem solved. It was the power supply after all. The two power
    supplies that did not work properly had single 12 volt rails (20 pin).
    The power supply that I have now is an Antec basic 500 watt with two
    12 volt rails (20 + 4 pin). I would highly recommend this power supply
    for anyone with similar system specs to mine.

    number3, Apr 12, 2008
  4. number3

    number3 Guest

    Thanks for the tip, no not yet. I just downloaded "AMD Dual-Core
    Optimizer" from AMD website. Is this the driver you mean? This is my
    first duel core system and any advice is welcome. I do see both cores
    in windows task manager.

    number3, Apr 12, 2008
  5. number3

    number3 Guest

    OK yep installed latest driver and also the optimizer, thanks.

    number3, Apr 12, 2008