    the pentium 4 or an equivalent amd processor using as few other
    components as possible. Thanks very much, and I'll try to keep this
    thread updated.

    Alpha, May 22, 2004

  2. Alpha

    Aaron Guest

    I don't think that you can do this. You will need to understand every
    circuit on the motherboard, along with thousands of components. Then
    you will need to solder nearly invisible wires together, and find some
    way to make your own precision manufactured PCBs (VersaLaser, maybe).
    And, if you make one mistake, it's a no go. You will probably have to
    do coding in a very low level language, as in writing your own BIOS.
    Unless you are a multimillionaire genius with a very high degree in
    Computer Engineering, you basically have no chance of modifying hardly
    anything on a motherboard. It's all done by computers nowadays, I
    believe.

    Sorry to dishearten you, maybe you can find some schematics on search
    engine.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 23, 2004

  3. Alpha

    Zebedee Guest

    What's wrong with the motherboards you've found? Perhaps we can suggest a
    less drastic solution?

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, May 23, 2004
  4. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    The problem is the size. I believe that, by eliminating many of the
    components in a laptop-equivalent system, I can make a palm-sized (or
    slightly larger) system that can perform as well as a mid-level
    desktop. I want it to support numerous protocols (i.e. kill the
    connector conspiracy). Mostly, I just want to design it for the
    challenge.

    Alpha, May 24, 2004
  5. Alpha

    Aaron Guest

    Well, if you have high performance, you will have high heat. And, you
    will have low battery life.

    On a tangent, what some company should do is figure out how to take
    processor heat and turn it into power. I bet battery life would
    double, because you wouldn't need a fan, and you would be charging the
    battery. I better slap a patent on that one. :)

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 25, 2004
  6. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Well, obviously higher performance will translate to higher heat.
    Further, a company has already started to create such a device, which
    can be read about in the april or may 2004 issue of the ieee magazine.
    The point, however, is this: we have palm pilot wristwatches. we have
    telephone that can fit in the ticket pocket on jeans. we have
    laser-projection TV technology, and bionic neurons small enough to be
    injected with a 12-gauge needle. I think that, with carfeul design,
    one can have a palm-sized computer with desktop-sized power. I'm
    willing to try, anyway. And anyone who can give me a motherboard
    schematic, or even info about how to design one, would be greatly
    appreciated. And don't say "use a search engine": that advice way
    duh-factor 10 about twelvbe years ago.

    Alpha, May 25, 2004
  7. Alpha

    jongobongo Guest

    I am just wondering what made you exactly unsatisfied about the
    current models which are more than efficient for any business
    organisation you are just waisting your time whatever you are going to
    redesign is goingto doomed to faillure so chill-out.

    jongobongo, May 27, 2004
  8. Was this the device to which you were referring?
    http://www.oqo.com/

    Note that they went with a 1 GHz Transmeta processor.

    Not sure what you consider "mid-range" desktop performance, but using
    any Pentium 4 processor will require you to build in a lot of stuff
    (air flow channels, fans, etc) into a device that you are trying to
    keep small. That's why many table PC makers, as well as the OQO
    folks, went with the Transmeta. Looking at the specs, I'm guessing
    they will be able to market the oqo at under $1,000 (possibly as low
    as $600~$800)
    Tom's Hardware might be a good start, though I don't know if their
    schematics provides the detail you need.

    Anonymous Jack, May 27, 2004
  9. Alpha

    Zebedee Guest

    That's either a troll or a nasty attitude you have there.

    What's wrong with him doing whatever he feels he wishes to do?

    Personally, I can't see the difference between what he plans and a PDA or a
    micro ATX system but it'll be interesting to see what he does. Even if it
    doesn't take off, more power to him for having a go.

    Zebedee, May 27, 2004
  10. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Thank you. All I'm saying is that this interests me. No ,I don't think
    I will surpass other systems, or that it will be "superior" or
    economically viable or anything. All I'm saying is, I want to try, and
    if do-it-youselfers can benefit from having a motherboard that could
    evolve into a standard laptop or PDA form factor, than all the better.

    Alpha, May 28, 2004
  11. Alpha

    Zebedee Guest

    One of the things I've always wondered is why we can't have plug-together
    motherboards etc. I have a vision of computer systems made of little
    Lego-style blocks that can just be put together. Blocks not much better than
    a Lego block. And one just puts as many or as few together as needed. It'd
    be nice if Windows came on a little block so that you could just pull the
    block off and stick a new one on when the system changes.

    Zebedee, May 28, 2004