Black? Convertible vs Slate? 512 vs 768 vs 1024 MB RAM? Motion's View Anywhere screen vs. Toshiba M2

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Health Nut, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Health Nut

    Health Nut Guest

    Motion M1300 Tablet PC 1GHz System includes:
    - 12.1" display for indoor use
    - Intel® mobile technology components
    --- ULV Intel Pentium® M Processor - 1 GHz
    --- Intel 855GME Chipset
    --- Broadcom 802.11g (b compatible) Wireless
    - Integrated modem and NIC
    - Two full-size digitizer pens
    - 1 512 DDR RAM
    - 60 GB HDD
    - Hard top Cover
    - Desktop stand
    - Mobile Keyboard w/ Touch Pad
    - 6 Cell Battery
    - Blue End Caps
    - AC Adapter
    - Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition including Journal,
    Sticky Notes, Speech Recognition and more
    - Motion Dashboard
    - Motion Pak including OneNote, Colligo® Networks
    Colligo Personal Edition,
    Microsoft® Reader for Tablet PC
    Motion ADD-ONS:
    301.050.01 Motion M-Series Flex Dock #301.050.01 $229.99
    501.400.04 Motion M-Series Slip Case #501.400.04 $34.99
    501.240.03 Motion M-Series Battery Charger Kit $319.99
    Shipping Signature Confirmation Required - FedEx Second Day 80.00 80.00

    $3,102.97

    PORTEGE M200:

    Intel® PRO Wireless (802.11b)
    CPU 1.5GHZ CENTRINO
    60GB HDD (5400 rpm)
    12.1 SXGA LCD
    768MB RAM (512 + 256)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition
    $2,749.00 (6 months same as cash financing)

    Improving upon the award-winning Portégé 3500, the Portégé M200 Tablet PC offers the new uniquely designed Toshiba Tablet Multi Dock and impressive array of productivity tools including Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology for extended battery life and advanced wireless connectivity, nVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go 5200 32M graphics, and Microsoft® Office OneNote™ 2003.

    To handle the most demanding productivity and multimedia applications, the Portégé® M200/205 Series offers the powerful Intel® Pentium® Processor M at 1.50GHz (up to 1.70GHz), and the NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 32M graphics processor with 32MB DDR video memory. With its large 12.1" SXGA+ diagonal display (1400x1050), digital ink technology, and integrated full-width keyboard, the Portégé M200 easily supports daily use as a full-function notebook, as well as, the comfort of a Tablet PC for hand-written notes and diagrams during meetings or presentations.

    Not sure how much the equivalent add-ons are for the Toshiba....

    Pluses for Toshiba:
    1.5 GHz Centrino (vs Motion's 1.0)
    1400x1050 screen resolution
    More powerful graphics card???

    Pluses for Motion:
    "g" wireless (instead of plain old b"
    view anywhere screen capability

    Negative for Toshiba:
    Not Sure. Perhaps not as much software???

    Negative for Motion with anywhere screen:
    Backordered 6-8 weeks

    1) Anyway, I would like help deciding between these two units and which you would prefer? Or please suggest others to evaluate. What are the differences between these two units and what are the advantages and disadvantages according to your opinion?

    2) Are there any tablets/convertables in BLACK? The Toshiba M200 appears black? Is it black? If not, any black ones?

    3) If you look at the PDF file of the anywhere screen, the anywhere screen appears on paper to be superior indoors and outdoors due to increasing the contrast (perhaps they added a phosphor layer (most likely this is what they did). Now please anwer this: has anybody compared a standard screen and a view anywhere screen side by side indoors? I'd appreciate as much info as possible on your thoughts of view anywhere screens indoors compared to standard screens...

    4) Is going from 512 to 768 MB a noticible improvement for running tablet XP? Can I disable virtual memory if I have 768 MB RAM (keep everything in RAM Memory, no virtual hard drive accessing nonsense).

    5) Can you stream video from my main computer to the tablet via wireless? If so, how would the Toshiba compare to the motion? It is upsetting that the Toshiba only has "b" support vs Motions superior "g" support. What do you think?

    6) Does Gateway 2000 sell rebadged motion tablet PC's?

    Anything else you can offer on finding the best tablet PC would be aprreciated!

    Thanks!!!

    Health Nut, Feb 6, 2004

  2. 1) I personally like the M200 a lot. The extra power and screen resolution
    is a big plus for me although I have not used the Motion's Tablet. Others
    swear by them.

    2) The M200 is mostly black but the screen is silver

    3) Have not done that. Maybe Terri has

    4) You should see a performance improvement depending on what you do. You
    can turn off paging but I would not recommend it. You never know when you
    might need it.

    5) You can stream video. If both machines have "g" then you will see a
    performance increase. I have watched video from MSN using only "b"
    wireless.

    6) Yes, Gateway's Tablet is a rebadged Motion

    Again, the "best" tablet is a matter of personal preference. For me, the
    "best" is the M200, for others it would be the Motion. It all depends on
    what you need and how you use your tablet. I would *highly* recommend
    looking at Terri's site for great comparisons. http://thetabletpc.net

    --

    Gary A. Bushey
    SPS MVP

    offers the new uniquely designed Toshiba Tablet Multi Dock and impressive
    array of productivity tools including Intel® CentrinoT mobile technology for
    extended battery life and advanced wireless connectivity, nVIDIA® GeForceT
    FX Go 5200 32M graphics, and Microsoft® Office OneNoteT 2003.
    Portégé® M200/205 Series offers the powerful Intel® Pentium® Processor M at
    1.50GHz (up to 1.70GHz), and the NVIDIA® GeForceT FX Go5200 32M graphics

    Gary A. Bushey, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Health Nut

    terri Guest

    I've used Motion's ViewAnywhere indoors as well as outdoors. It's hard to
    tell the difference between it and one with a standard screen. There's a
    picture of the Motion display on the CESPhotos page of my site. If you
    click on the thumbnail, it will enlarge. See if you can pick out the
    ViewAnywhere screen.

    The Gateway slate is a rebranded Motion (a couple of different Gateway parts
    inside) but the convertible is not made by Motion.

    The optional hardtop keyboard that Motion lets the slate perform very much
    like a convertible.

    The Toshiba's screen resolution is great, no doubt. If you want a
    convertible, its an excellent choice..

    --
    Terri Stratton
    Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

    terri, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Health Nut

    Chris H. Guest

    You know many of these questions, like what are the differences in software
    between two brands needs to be investigated by the person who is interested
    by going to the manufacturers' web sites. We would need to do that to
    supply the information, and we're just like you are - a computer user -
    except we try to answer on our volunteer time.

    Perhaps a little self-help would be more appropriate here, since you are the
    one who might or might not be attracted to some sort of software bundle
    difference from one brand to the next. Do a little investigating for
    yourself.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP