Black parts on screens after switching my Debian stable's Kernelsv2.6.32 to v3.2.0.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Ant, Jan 14, 2013.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hi!

    I get a black screen (no Earth!) in Google Earth. Also, I see black form
    boxes in Debian's login manager after using its Gnome v2.30.2/KDE v4.4.5
    and logging out. Compiz-Fusion (fusion-icon &) seems to work fine. I
    tried without it and still have the same symptoms.

    I have to restart X to fix the login's black form boxes as a workaround.
    :( http://pastie.org/5610800 for my Xorg.0.log when starting X, running
    GE, and logging off Gnome. I am using the latest stable versions and the
    backports through apt-get commands.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But
    the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of

    Ant, Jan 14, 2013

  2. Ant

    Aragorn Guest

    1) Are you running the proprietary video drivers or are you using the
    FLOSS drivers - i.e. nouveau, radeon, intel?

    2) If you are using the proprietary drivers - i.e. nvidia, fglrx - have
    you updated them too?

    Aragorn, Jan 14, 2013

  3. Ant

    Paul Guest

    It's in his pastie.org copy of Xorg.0.log.

    "X.Org X Server 1.10.4

    NVIDIA GLX Module 295.59 Wed Jun 6 21:40:44 PDT 2012
    "

    That suggests to me, a package downloaded from Nvidia (tainted).

    I'd probably compare an older .log, from when it was working,
    and see what extensions are no longer loading.

    "Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension" ...

    Or alternately, launch an app from the command line, that
    shares the symptoms, and snag the stderr output emitted
    when it happens. If a portion of the Xserver has a problem,
    it should be logged somewhere. And if you can get a regular
    app to suffer a "black square", maybe there will be something
    on stderr, to hint as to what isn't working.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 14, 2013
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Proprietary NVIDIA video drivers according to:
    $ dpkg -l | grep ^ii |grep nvidia
    ii glx-alternative-nvidia 0.2.0~bpo60+1
    allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
    ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    transition libGL.so* diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
    ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    simplifies replacing MESA libGL with GPU vendor libraries
    (32-bit)
    ii libgl1-nvidia-glx 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
    ii libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA binary OpenGL 32-bit libraries
    ii libglx-nvidia-alternatives 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    transition libgl.so diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
    ii nvidia-alternative 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
    ii nvidia-glx 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA metapackage
    ii nvidia-glx-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA 32-bit libraries (transitional package)
    ii nvidia-installer-cleanup 20111111+1~bpo60+1
    Cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
    ii nvidia-kernel-common 20111111+1~bpo60+1
    NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
    ii nvidia-kernel-dkms 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
    ii nvidia-kernel-source 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA binary kernel module source
    ii nvidia-settings 295.49-1~bpo60+1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    ii nvidia-support 20111111+1~bpo60+1
    NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
    ii nvidia-vdpau-driver 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA vdpau driver
    ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia 295.59-1~bpo60+2
    NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

    They are updated according to Debian stable, with its backports, unless
    I missed something? :/
    --
    "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
    the ant." --Indian

    Ant, Jan 15, 2013
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I fixed Google Earth. It seems to requires nvidia-vdpau-driver-ia32
    package. Why? I don't know. [gets slimed]

    I guess I could live with gdm's black form boxes login issue since I can
    restart X to see them again. Annoying. I should had not upgraded. :p
    --
    ...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the
    ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were
    bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of
    them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose,
    and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly
    honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could
    have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was
    nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's
    the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so
    why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's
    good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much
    kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing
    over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode
    from Malcolm in the Middle
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Jan 15, 2013