    DirectX 9 on my machine.

    Big thnx for any suggestions, best regards and happy new year !
    Jure

    jpsx, Jan 2, 2004

  2. jpsx

    RL Guest

    Try full screen video adjustments.

    RL, Jan 2, 2004

  3. jpsx

    phobos Guest

    This is in fact normal. Normally your monitor is not gamma adjusted by
    the material it plays. Newer cards like the FX5900 and others can in
    games, but not generally in 2d. A TV is an automatically gamma tuned
    analog device. It does so by a circuit to determine the mid tones of a
    picture.

    Also NTSC colors are known for their problems in reproducing accurate
    colors (NTSC also known as 'Never The Same Color' twice). It's just the
    way the standard works. You can try loading an Adobe Gamma profile if
    you've got Adobe Gamma Loader from Photoshop and a ICM for your monitor.
    This can correct your screen for inconsistencies.

    The absolute best solution is to take whatever material you're using and
    crop it instead of encoding the black areas (when full screened it will
    still play back at the proper aspect ratio) - for example crop a 720x480
    DVD to 720x352 or such. The problem is the black gets encoded and all
    low frenquency data becomes 'macro-blocked'.

    phobos, Jan 4, 2004