Black Screen with certain games with ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Ian, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi,

    I had a perfectly good machine (Asus A7V333, Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM,
    Sparkle 6800GT, NVidia 81.85 drivers, Windows XP SP2, Viewsonic VP930 LCD
    monitor, etc.) and it ran all my games ok. However, I wanted more speed, so
    I swapped the motherboard for an ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2 and the processor for
    an Athlon64 3200+. I uninstalled all the VIA drivers for the A7V333
    motherboard - AGP, IDE bus master, etc. and rebuilt the machine in a new
    case with the same 2 hard drives, DVDROM, DVD R/W, floppy drive and power
    supply (Hiper 450W). Everything seemed OK, Windows booted up, it detected
    the "new" hardware, I installed the ULi drivers and re-installed the NVidia
    drivers.

    All seemed to be ok, I could play Doom3 and Quake 4, but when I tried FEAR
    or UT2004 or Halo, I'd get the introductory movies and sound, but only a
    black screen! With Half Life 2, I got a screen, but it wasn't working
    properly, with artifacts in the sky. None of the 3DMark benchmarking suites
    will run properly either. Is it just OpenGL applications that are working
    ok, and DirectX applications that are not? If so, or even if not, what's
    going on? Has anybody else had the same experience and how can I get round
    the problem?

    Ian

    Ian, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi again,

    I have solved my own problem! Having read a number of posts in this and
    other newsgroups, it looked as though it could be the NVidia drivers that
    were at fault. So, I uninstalled the ULi AGP driver again and the 81.95
    NVidia drivers, rebooted, re-loaded the ULi AGP driver, re-booted and then
    installed the 78.05 NVidia drivers. Success - FEAR now starts OK, I've yet
    to test the others, but they should be the same. What's gone wrong in the
    8x.xx series drivers, then?

    Ian

    Ian, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Ian

    Paul Guest

    Yes, the game you are playing is called "driver roulette".
    I find on average, I need to try about three driver versions
    per new video card, before I'm happy.

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/search.html?keywords=archive

    It is possible a gamer over on one of the Nvidia newsgroups
    has a better idea as to what broke in your game/driver combo.
    Also, if the company that wrote the game has good support,
    they may actually track busted driver versions for you
    ("avoid version xxxx of ATI/Nvidia driver").

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Update - it doesn't look as though the problem was with the Nvidia drivers
    after all. I have installed version 82.12 with no black screen problem. It
    looks as though the order in which you instal the Uli AGP driver and the
    Nvidia drivers is crucial. Hope this helps somebody else!

    Ian

    Ian, Jan 9, 2006