Black screen with Diamond Stealth S540 Xtreme.

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Gerald Abrahamson, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. OS is Win98 (not SE).

    MB is VA503+ with JE4333 BIOS and AMD K63+450 (not OC). Memory is
    two sticks of Crucial 128mb ECC memory (ECC enabled). System is
    about six years old and runs well. AGP2 is enabled and AGP video
    is first choice (in BIOS).

    Card installs fine in the AGP slot and I have tried two sets of
    drivers: the ones that came with the card and the most current
    ones from the manufacturer. Installed per instructions.

    Card is detected, drivers loaded and time to reboot (normal).

    Part way through the reboot process (maybe 1/3), the screen goes
    all-black and the only flashes of color/light are when icons and
    toolbars are created--then they disappear immediately into the
    black screen also. The video is working (signal being received)
    and Windows is "up and running" correctly (even if I can't see it)
    because various programs come up if the arrow keys are used to
    move "blindly" within the screen and I then hit <enter>. No
    reported conflicts or errors in Windows/Safe Mode (execept to
    report they don't work until reboot).

    I replaced the Stealth with a Radeon AGP card and found a set of
    Radeon drivers that work properly. However, I would like to use
    the Stealth video card if possible.

    Any ideas/fixes as to the Stealth card problem?

    Regards, Jerry

    Gerald Abrahamson, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Alex Zorrilla, Jan 11, 2005