blade question

Discussion in 'HP' started by G, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. G

    G Guest

    Before jumping on the blade bandwagon, we need to resolve a few issues.
    What can fail on a blade chassis? In other words, is there a single point of
    failure?

    Let's say we install a chassis full of blade servers. These servers need to
    be highly available. We may cluster, load balance or failover servers
    within the chassis to provide redundancy, but what about the chassis itself?
    Do we really need to install TWO chassis and maybe put half the servers in
    one and half in the other? If so, then it seems like we would be wasting
    half the space available in each chassis (like we do with some of our drive
    arrays now). And what about power? Do we need to put the two chassis on
    separate power or what? My boss even brought up the possibility that they
    need to be in separate racks so in case one of racks "falls over..." Where
    does it end?

    Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out the pros and cons of
    blades.
    thx,

    G, Jul 11, 2003