    about it. If try to turn off the computer monitor, it turns off the TV
    too. I guess I could try booting without the computer monitor
    connected, but that seems to be a pretty awkward workaround.

    FelixC, Jul 3, 2004

  2. FelixC

    Vellu Guest

    This is how it is supposed to be, video overlay is not (and cannot be) shown
    on secondary monitor windowed. In order to see video on your TV you need to
    go to CAT settings section "Overlay" and "Clone mode options". There enable
    "Theater mode". Your desktop is still shown normally, but when you start
    video playback, the video will automatically go full screen on your TV.

    And you are right about direct memory writing. Video overlay is just that,
    the image is drawn directly into video card memory. It is not part of the
    desktop image, therefore it is not dublicated via simple clone mode. It
    needs to be shown full screen (that is, only one or the other can shown,
    desktop or the video). That's also the reason why you cannot "take a
    picture" of your video playback simply by pressing 'print screen'. The video
    overlay isn't part of the desktop which is captured. You need a video
    editing program for that (or some playback program that has frame capture
    capability).

    Vellu, Jul 3, 2004

  3. FelixC

    FelixC Guest

    Thanks, that works. I see that there's a choice of having the video go
    to full-screen on the TV, or staying in a window. Either one works.

    I'm a little puzzled as to why this isn't the default setting (clone
    video in window). The setting seems obscure and buried deep in the
    interface. I don't see any performance impact. Why have to go the
    extra step to "enable" the expected behaviour?

    FelixC, Jul 3, 2004
  4. FelixC

    FelixC Guest

    I've been playing around a bit more, and I have to say that ATI's user
    interface and functionality is extremely frustrating.

    Pardon the venting, but they could teach a class in "how not to design
    a user interface" based this ATI driver software. The documentation
    and help stinks. Almost nothing works intuitively or as expected.
    Random experimentation for hours seems to be the only way to find out
    anything.

    Especially annoying is the problem that playing with the "TV" controls
    seems to affect the computer monitor display in various unexpected
    ways, depending on what other cryptic control options are set. Now
    I've got it in a mode where the computer monitor goes to full screen
    and the TV doesn't when a video starts. I can't seem to convince it
    otherwise. Looks like a registry restore and start again is the only
    way to fix it.

    FelixC, Jul 4, 2004
  5. FelixC

    Vellu Guest

    True, it's quite "buried" in there...I'd prefer it to be in the Displays
    tab, right next to where you actually enable TV-out/Clone mode. As to why
    it's not default, I believe it has something to do with the fact that not
    everyone plugs their TV into their computer.

    Vellu, Jul 4, 2004
  6. FelixC

    Vellu Guest

    It's indeed far from user friendly. Though other manufactures have some
    problems aswell. Do Nvidia users still need to use TVTool (an external
    program) to get their TV-outs working properly?

    Vellu, Jul 4, 2004