Blinking SB_PWR led

Discussion in 'Asus' started by rzrbts, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. rzrbts

    rzrbts Guest

    Where to begin..?

    I was out of town when there was a massive electrical storm. A lot of people
    I know had their computers fried because of it, I stupidly didn't have my
    computer on the surge protector and my computer was fried. Luckily I found
    out before I came back into town and assumed it was a power supply issue only
    so I ordered one.

    When I got home I unplugged all the power cords, plugged them back in and
    tried to turn the computer on with no luck. Motherboard lights off, not even
    a click, completely dead. I took the old PSU out and installed the new one
    (upgraded to a Antec TP3-550 from a Antec TP2-550). Still when I hit the
    power button nothing happens but now I have a blinking SB_PWR light (I have
    an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium by the way). What could this mean? I can't find any
    information about a blinking light other than it could be a dead PSU/PSU not
    giving enough power, but I find that hard to believe since it's a completely
    new PSU and a 550watt PSU worked perfectly well for nearly two years prior.
    Though I could of course be wrong and very unlucky.

    Might something else be fried? Or did I somehow get a faulty new PSU. What
    should I be doing next?

    Thanks~

    rzrbts, Aug 23, 2007

  2. rzrbts

    RobV Guest

    Did you remember to plug in the four pin connector near the CPU? (I
    assume that's where it is, that's where it is on my P5B)

    RobV, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Yup. Everything is connected.

    rzrbts via HWKB.com, Aug 23, 2007
  4. rzrbts

    RobV Guest

    Well, I had to ask. ;-) Unfortunatley, it sounds like the CPU and/or MB
    got damaged by the lightning. A surge may have come through the PSU
    (thus the dead original PSU) and into the MB, damaging something. It
    could be anything on the MB, including the CPU.

    I wouldn't even want to put the CPU into another good MB, as it could be
    fried in a way that will damage the working MB.

    You wanted to build a new system anyway, right? (j/k).

    The only other thing I can think of to try is disconnect all the disk
    drives, memory and cards. At this point, when you turn the power on, the
    BIOS, if the MB is good, should give you some beeps to protest the lack
    of memory and a video card. If you hear nothing, the board and/or CPU
    is gone.

    If you get a (some) beeps, install one stick of memory and the video
    card only. If it flies, then keep adding parts till you find the bad
    one.

    RobV, Aug 24, 2007
  5. rzrbts

    limseehong Guest

    I have almost the same problem as you which is still not solved.
    Motherboard : Asus P5B (4 months old)
    Processor: IntelCore2Duo 6320
    Ram : Corsair ValueRam 2 pc of 1gig 667DDR2 (Total 2gb)
    Display Card : Asus EN7900GS
    PSU : Antec 550W TruePower
    Problem : blinking motherboard green light and nothing comes on. PSU
    fan not turning, CPU fan and casing fan all dead. Once in a while when
    some power kicks in, the fans turn for 1 sec and went dead again.
    Need help badly
    Regards,
    seehong
    Email :

    limseehong, Aug 31, 2007
  6. rzrbts

    RobV Guest

    Suggest you try the steps in my second reply to rzrbts. It could also
    be the motherboard shorting out to the case, or to one of the standoffs.
    It's a pain, but you should take the MB out of the case, set it down
    next to it on an antistatic surface (the bag the MB came in works well),
    and do the same: add parts one at a time till something doesn't work.
    If nothing works immediately, the MB is most likely bad (it does happen
    :-( ).

    RobV, Aug 31, 2007