    My spare PSU has a 24pin mobo connector whereas the blown one has a 20pin so
    i will need to get one from my local store if they have one and try it.

    Thanks.

    timelord, Jun 5, 2009

  2. timelord

    Paul Guest

    Check the condition of the 24 pin plug. My 24 pin supply here, the connector
    comes apart in two pieces, so it is 20+4. You unhinge the extra four, and then
    the connector becomes a 20 pin. There are a few connectors which are purely
    24, and for those, you cannot convert them. But if there is clearance around
    the connectors, and no tall capacitors in the way, you might still manage to
    connect it. Pin 1 on the 24 pin, goes to pin 1 on the 20 pin.

    You can see a picture of a 20+4, in the upper left here.

    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cputopiaonline/mp3atx40.jpg

    In this picture, you can see the "bump" for the hinge.

    http://www.pcmcis.com/Pro/204pin.jpg

    In this shot, a fixed 24 pin supply, is plugged into a 20 pin motherboard.
    The four redundant pins, hang over one end. On some motherboards, a tall
    cap is located, where the four redundant pins are, and then you cannot
    do this. But if the area on that end is clear, as it is in this case, you
    can do it like this. The alignment feature of the connector, should help
    you as well (if you fit it wrong, the shapes on the plastic shell should
    prevent it).

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/24in20.jpg

    Many current power supplies, can blow without damaging the motherboard. There
    were some in the past, which were notorious for ruining the motherboard
    (Bestec 250W). But if the supply has a half decent set of protection
    features, it might not have hurt anything. Only time will tell. If you
    paid $15 for the supply, the outcome is less certain. And in the event
    of a lightning strike, the power supply may not get to say much about
    it, and it could be fried anyway.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 5, 2009

  3. timelord

    Hueyduck Guest

    timelord a écrit :
    I've blown at least 4 PSU since I have a PC (1998), and I never could
    notice any damage. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think you don't have to worry
    too much.

    Huey

    Hueyduck, Jun 5, 2009
  4. timelord

    Kent_Diego Guest

    I have had about four or five go without problem. My friend had a cheap
    power supply and when it when it took out everything but the hard drive. Buy
    a nice name brand PS that will have over voltage protection.

    Kent_Diego, Jun 6, 2009
  5. timelord

    timelord Guest

    Thanks everyone for all the info. I have replaced the PSU now and the PC
    works as normal.

    Phil.

    timelord, Jun 6, 2009
  6. Usually, a failed power supply will not damage any other components.
    There are exceptions, but the odds are in your favor.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 9, 2009