    I downloaded the latest Firmware upgrade for this Mac from Apple and when I
    launch it, it says that the Firware is already upgraded.

    Any suggestions?

    bloomite, Sep 15, 2004

  2. bloomite

    John Albert Guest

    bloomite writes:
    << I have a blue and white 400 mhz G3 at work and I'm trying to boot off an
    external Firewire drive to run NetRestore to reimage the G3. It's running OS
    10.2.8 and the OS X System folder appears as an option that you can select in
    the Startup Disk control panel.
    But it never boots off the Firewire drive. Also holding down the option key
    at startup doesn't bring up the boot volume option. The Firewire drive and
    System aren't a problem as it has worked countless times with other Macs.
    I downloaded the latest Firmware upgrade for this Mac from Apple and when I
    launch it, it says that the Firware is already upgraded.
    Any suggestions? >>

    Yes.... give up, because it can't be done.

    You need a Boot ROM version of 2.33f1 or newer (higher number) to be "Firewire
    bootable". In the case of desktop models, this doesn't appear until into the g4's.

    A Blue & White g3 simply cannot boot from Firewire....

    - John

    John Albert, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Open your firewire enclosure, pull out the IDE-drive and put it directly into
    your Mac. Then it will work.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie