    ideas out of your head. The only way to keep your computer secure is to stay
    the hell away from the internet. Come to think of it that may be the way for
    you to go.

    Venom, Oct 2, 2006

  2. Venom

    OSbandito Guest

    Beginner planning to put together a new sys. Had been expecting to use
    AMD64 single-core w/ASUS mb but since learning of the Blue Pill hazard
    with processors using hardware virtualization (I think "VMM" refers to
    this), I'm thinking of going to an older processor design and an ASUS
    board which does not have TPM or DRM chips. These appear to have the
    potential for massive intrusiveness. My question is: what's a good,
    stable ASUS board to use with a low-wattage Athlon 32-bit processor and
    one of the Linux/BSD variants?

    ~Thanks

    OSbandito, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Venom

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Put on your tinfoil hat and turn off the virtualization feature in your
    BIOS.

    Mitch Crane, Oct 2, 2006
  4. Venom

    John Lewis Guest

    Do you sleep with a gun under your pillow and have all your savings in
    gold bars hidden under your floorboards ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 2, 2006
  5. Venom

    Zephyr Guest

    Can't afford the gold bars, but the guns real. ;)

    Zephyr, Oct 3, 2006
  6. Venom

    OSbandito Guest

    Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies and the technical information I requested.

    OSbandito, Oct 5, 2006
  7. Venom

    Paul Guest

    ********
    ********

    The trustedcomputinggroup web site first appears on the archive
    in April 2003. On the website itself, it doesn't state when they
    started work on their project.

    http://web.archive.org/*/http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/

    https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/groups/tpm/

    Their "articles of incorporation" document here, is dated Dec 2002.
    Which means any hardware made before Apr 2003 stands a good chance
    of not having any of this technology.

    https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/about/articles_of_incorporation.pdf

    There is a FAQ here, and they make it seem like a separate
    TPM chip on the motherboard is the only implementation
    method. Yet I've heard that the chipset itself could have
    such a feature, and it is not likely to be advertised. Datasheets
    for chipsets are not readily available (with the exception
    of Intel, and Intel only exposes as much info in their
    datasheets as they feel like).

    https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/faq/TPMFAQ/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing

    What that means is, it is pretty difficult to _guarantee_ that
    there is not a way to implement these functions without you
    knowing about it. Selecting a hardware product designed before
    the requirements were known, would be one way, but does that
    guarantee that there would not be a way to implement it in
    the future ?

    There is some other info here, if you want to read up on it.

    http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/tcpa_rebuttal.pdf

    http://www.13t.org/wintah/miscelanea/TCPA Security.txt

    Virtualization is a separate issue, and a way to run multiple
    OSes on a computer at the same time, without the OSes being
    aware of one another. For AMD, this is called Pacifica, and
    for Intel Vanterpool. While virtualization will open up
    security holes, I don't think it has the same issues from
    a user perspective, that a Trusted Computing Platform presents.
    (A trusted computing platform can be used or abused, in
    the same way that nuclear power can generate electricity
    or can be used to build bombs.)

    To answer your question, you asked about Athlon, which to
    me implies something like AthlonXP Socket 462 32 bit
    processors. Motherboard availability would be limited,
    in terms of finding quality products. You may find products,
    but some will be DOA and some won't last as long as you
    would like. My personal preference would be for an Nforce2
    chipset motherboard (I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe I like), but
    you are not going to find that particular one on a store shelf.
    Production of S462 chipsets has likely stopped some time
    ago, and that is one reason that motherboards would
    cease production, as well as the marketing department
    stopping production as there are few processors available
    to drive demand for motherboard products.

    If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Epox EP-8RDA3+
    PRO Socket A shown here:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07493&Subcategory=22&description=&srchInDesc=

    There are still some Semprons available here for S462:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1707440&Subcategory=&description=&srchInDesc=

    If using an Nforce2 chipset, I recommend booting with "noapic"
    option. That is what I use when booting my A7N8X-E with Knoppix.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2006