blue screen Unmountable Boot Volume STOP: 0x000000ED

Discussion in 'Dell' started by simonx98, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. simonx98

    simonx98 Guest

    Help! I have the blue screen of death for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
    The STOP codes are: 0x000000E
    (0x8ADB2C28,oxC000009C,0x00000000,0x00000000)

    The PC is a DELL Dimension 8300 from around 2003, running Windows XP.

    We're just back from hols and I donwloaded photos from my daughter'
    camera - she takes way too many and the process aborted because of lac
    of disk space, so I copied some older photos to my expansion dis
    planning to remove that folder from the C: drive.

    However whilst using the internet the computer froze (this is an ongoin
    issue that I confess I have given up spending hours trying to prevent
    it is something to do with graphics interfaces - always a risk o
    freezing when using sites with complicated graphics or big pictures, e
    Google images - been happening for years).

    As usual I had to reboot but get the blue screen described above, trie
    safe mode, recovery console, F8, F6 etc. but no joy - tried inserting X
    Reinstallation CD for XP (sp 1a) but makes no difference.

    As stated anove just come back from holiday and started PC for firs
    time in 12 days yesterday, hadn't rebooted till this issue and there wa
    some sort of Windows update to be installed (I chose not to "reboo
    now") - thought I ought to mention that in case relevant, though suspec
    something to do with filling up C:

    Any assistance much appreciated :)

    Thanks ... Simon
    (currently at work hence computer access)

    simonx98, Aug 20, 2012

  2. simonx98

    revotan

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2012
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Simon,

    Here is what I suggest.

    1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

    2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

    3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

    4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

    5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

    6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

    This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

    Revotan

    revotan, Aug 21, 2012

  3. simonx98

    Mike S. Guest

    Open case, check all cables and connections. Can you hear the drive spin
    up?

    At work, download and burn an .ISO for a Linux LiveCD designed for repair.
    My fave for this type of task is PartEdMagic. Boot on your suspect machine
    and see what it finds.

    Mike S., Aug 21, 2012