Blue Screens + KV7

Discussion in 'Abit' started by chris, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    http://www.zen21471.zen.co.uk/bsod.jpg

    I keep getting this error message on a newly built system. All google
    groups postings seem to point towards this being a memory error.
    However, my memory has already been RMA'ed once before with Crucial. So
    I am sure it cannot be this.

    Any help/advice very much appreciated, as I am currently at a complete
    loss what to do next? I've swapped out *every* component bar the cpu
    and PSU.

    I enclose a detailed listing of my computer components:

    Processor
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
    Speed : 2.03GHz
    Model Number : 2400 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR2945 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte
    line size)

    Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB
    MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    Mainboard : http://www.abit.com.tw/ KV7(VIA KT600-8237)
    Total Memory : 510MB DDR-SDRAM

    Chipset 1
    Model : Abit Computer Corp VT8377 Apollo KT400 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 135MHz (270MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 135MHz (270MHz data rate)

    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

    Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y080P0
    CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-52246S

    Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Hard Disk (C:) : 76.3GB (71.0GB, 93% Free) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A

    Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical (IntelliPoint)
    Human Interface : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

    MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)

    Printers and Faxes
    Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    Model : Auto HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C on Yavin (Copy 1)
    Model : Auto HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C on YAVIN

    Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86)
    5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

    Network Services
    Network Drivers Enabled : Yes
    Adapter : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

    chris, Oct 28, 2003

  2. chris

    - HAL9000 Guest

    You didn't mention what the speed rating is of your memory. Is it
    PC2700 memory? If it is then you need to know that the FSB should be
    at 133 not 135. If it blue screens at 133 try 130 as an experiment to
    see if it really is the memory. No need to RMA the memory when your
    not sure it is the culprit - just try a lower FSB.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Oct 28, 2003

  3. chris

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Sorry, I should have asked if it was PC2100 memory.

    With PC2100 memory the FSB should normally be set to 133. With PC2700
    memory the FSB should normally be set to 166.

    - HAL9000, Oct 28, 2003
  4. chris

    chris Guest

    : You didn't mention what the speed rating is of your memory.

    It's PC2700 rated.

    : If it is then you need to know that the FSB should be
    : at 133 not 135.

    It is set to 133 in the BIOS. I've tried setting it to 133 and 166,
    still blue screens :/

    chris, Oct 29, 2003