Bob Bemer, Computer Pioneer Passes Away, He Was Father of ASII, Inventor of the ESC key.. and more.

Discussion in 'HP' started by ed sharpe, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. ed sharpe

    ed sharpe Guest

    Bob Bemer, Computer Pioneer,
    Passed Away This Week at Age 84.

    See links:

    Posted on the home page of

    www.smecc.org

    a.. At Lockheed, he devised the first computerized 3-D dynamic
    perspective, prelude to today's computer animation.

    b.. At IBM, he developed
    a.. PRINT I (the first load-and-go computer method),
    b.. FORTRANSIT (the first major proof of intercomputer portability, and
    the second FORTRAN compiler),
    c.. Commercial Translator (a COBOL input), and
    d.. XTRAN (an ALGOL predecessor).

    c.. In 1957 March he was the first to describe commercial timesharing
    publicly, which evolved into the Worldwide Web.

    d.. In 1959 his internal IBM memo proposed word processing.

    e.. The Identification and Environment Divisions of COBOL are due to him,
    as is the Picture Clause, which could have avoided the Year 2000 problem if
    used correctly.

    f.. He coined the terms "COBOL", "CODASYL", and "Software Factory".

    g.. He was the major force in developing ASCII (contributing 10
    characters -- ESCape (see that key), FS, GS, RS, US, {, }, [, ], and the
    backslash).
    He invented the escape sequence and registry concept, and is called the
    "Father of ASCII".

    h.. He wrote the original scope and program of work for international and
    national computer standards, and chaired the international committee for
    programming language standards for eleven years.

    i.. As editor of the Honeywell Computer Journal (the first A4-size
    publication
    [1971] in the U.S.) he innovated fiche-of-the-issue and multimedia
    publishing.

    j.. He is recognized as the first person in the world to publish warnings
    of the Year 2000 problem -- first in 1971, and again in 1979.

    k.. And..... more! go to his site to learn more.....

    --
    Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

    Please check our web site at
    http://www.smecc.org
    to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
    buy, and by all means when in Arizona drop in and see us.

    address:

    coury house / smecc
    5802 w palmaire ave
    glendale az 85301

    ed sharpe, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Not to minimize Mr. Bemer's accomplishments, but this is a load of
    non-sense. (Commercial) Timesharing, at least that of that era, has/had
    nothing to very little to do with networking, let alone with the
    Worldwide Web. I hope that the rest of the article is more accurate.

    Frank Slootweg, supported commercial timesharing systems in the early 70's.

    Frank Slootweg, Jun 28, 2004

  3. ed sharpe

    Ben Myers Guest

    I once worked with Bob Bemer at GE Phoenix, long long ago. Late '60s.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2004