    have tried removing my bios battery but still no luck.

    Thanks in advance

    Ian

    Ian Piper, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Ian Piper

    Bob Davis Guest

    | Hi all,
    |
    | My friends computer froze in Win XP, he reset it and the computer would
    not
    | start. It does not beep after the POST. We tried stripping it but to no
    | avail. I then tried his P4 2.8 processor in my computer and now mine does
    | the same. Any ideas? His motherboard is GA-85648FX and mine is GA-8KNXP.
    | have tried removing my bios battery but still no luck.

    Prolly the CPU. I had the same problem with a box I built for a friend, a
    P4 3.0C, and after checking everything else I replaced it with a 3.0E and it
    worked perfectly. I didn't blame the CPU for days because I've had very
    little trouble with Intel CPU's in the past.

    Intel was good about the replacement, but wanted thorough testing before
    issuing an RMA. They also wanted minute details like the label info of the
    HSF, CPU, etc.--but in just a few days a new CPU arrived. I guess they want
    to make sure you are using an approved HSF. This was a retail CPU and I
    don't know what their procedure is to RMA an OEM chip.

    Bob Davis, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Ian Piper

    Ian Piper Guest

    Thanks Bob for the reply, with no components on the motherboard (no cpu,
    memory, ide cables etc) shouldn't the motherboard perform a post and beep?

    Could his cpu have ruined my motherboard as well?

    Thanks again

    Ian

    Ian Piper, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Ian Piper

    Duck ducking Guest

    Nope. No CPU, no beeping way to beep so no beep.
    Doubt it.

    Duck ducking, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Ian Piper

    Bob Davis Guest

    | Thanks Bob for the reply, with no components on the motherboard (no cpu,
    | memory, ide cables etc) shouldn't the motherboard perform a post and beep?
    |
    | Could his cpu have ruined my motherboard as well?

    The mobo will not perform a POST without a CPU, memory, and video. If the
    CPU caused both mobos to fail, and assuming your mobo works fine with its
    original CPU, it is almost surely the problem. Make sure the heatsink is
    attached and CPU fan operating, as the CPU will fry quickly without it. You
    might try putting your known-good CPU on his mobo, and if it fires up the
    original CPU would be the offending part if everything is being installed
    properly.

    Bob Davis, Nov 22, 2004