Boot Block and Uniform Block Flash Memory and Executin In Place(XIP)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by karthikbalaguru, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I understand that boot block Flash Memory have "protected boot blocks"
    so they can not be erased accidentally unless special functions are
    used to do that.

    Further, Top Boot Block Flash memory are intended for microprocessors
    that begin
    execution by reading from the top of their memory space. And vice
    versa for Bottom
    Boot Bloc Flash Memory. Here, the Boot Block is positioned at the
    bottom of the
    Flash's address space for many microprocessors that have their Reset
    vector at 0000h.
    So, my mapping the Flash to address 0000h of the processor's address
    space, the
    processor can boot from the Flash's Boot Block.

    I find that some some major processor makers use Bottom Boot(ST10,
    Motorola 68000 series, Power PC) and others use Top Boot(Intel i960,
    80x86 ).

    My Queries are :-
    1) But, What is the advantage of Top Boot Flash Memory and
    What is the advantage of Bottom Boot Flash memory ?

    2) Apart from protection to the Boot Block, what are the other
    differences between
    these Boot Block based Flash memories and Normal Flash Memories
    (Uniform
    Block Flash Memory)?

    3) Which is cost-effective (Boot Block based Flash or Normal Flash
    ( Uniform Block
    Flash Memory) ) ?

    4) Is the lifetime (Number of programmable / erase cycles) of the Boot
    Block lesser
    than or equivalent to that of the Normal Blocks (Application Code,
    User
    Parameters and User Data.) ?

    5) Can that Boot Block area used for other purporses w.r.t security of
    the application ?

    6) I understand that for systems with small amounts of memory, XIP is
    very good that
    each instance of that program uses system RAM, only for their
    stack, BSS, and
    data segments while the shared text segment remains in Flash
    Memory.
    But, Is there any specific Block for text segment while
    performing XIP ?

    7) Is there any other specific configuration to look for while
    selecting the Flash
    Memory while going in for XIP ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Hi,

    Re-posting it as it was misaligned in the firs post.

    I understand that boot block Flash Memory have "protected
    boot blocks" so they can not be erased accidentally unless
    special functions are used to do that.

    Further, Top Boot Block Flash memory are intended for
    microprocessors that begin execution by reading from the top
    of their memory space. And vice versa for Bottom Boot Block
[...]

    But, Is there any specific Block dedicated for text segment
    while performing XIP in either Boot Block Flash Memories
    or Uniform Block Flash Memories(Normal Flash Memories)?

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 24, 2007

  3. I have the following queries based on the Flash Memory.

    1) What is the advantage of Top Boot Flash Memory and
[...]

    Any ideas / link / pdf ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 27, 2007
  4. I posted it 3 days back , but did not get any answers.
    Any problem in the post ?
    Is there any pdf / some links that discusses about these ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 27, 2007
  5. karthikbalaguru

    donald Guest

    The problem is that you need to do you own home work / research.

    Gmail account are ingorded here.

    sorry,

    ( no I'm not )

    donald, Oct 27, 2007
  6. karthikbalaguru

    CBFalconer Guest

    I think he means plonked. In addition, the excessive cross-posting
    without setting follow-ups is also likely to trigger various
    blocks.

    The cure - post to one newsgroup, and get a real news-reader.

    CBFalconer, Oct 27, 2007
  7. Ok, Thx for that information :):)

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 27, 2007
  8. karthikbalaguru

    Ali Guest

    Yes, too many questions marks.
    I would suggest Adobe.

    ali

    Ali, Oct 27, 2007
  9. karthikbalaguru

    Jerry Avins Guest

    Is someone confusing gmail with google groups? I see nothing wrong with
    either. I use groups.google.com when I'm away from home, and a gmail
    account isn't fundamentally different from AOL or Yahoo. I think
    Google's spam policies are deplorable and I agree than they're home to
    trolls and the clueless, but son't blame the service for the foibles of
    its users. IIRC, Rune Alnor uses gmail. Whoever ignores him loses much.

    karthikbalaguru: I ignored your question because I had no answer. Maybe
    I'm not alone in that.

    Jerry

    Jerry Avins, Oct 27, 2007
  10. karthikbalaguru

    Ali Guest

    So do I!

    Actually while ago i tried to switch to some _dedicated_ software to
    access the usenet (a.k.a news reader). But yoiu know I ened up with
    nothing. Because google.groups does provide you lots of goodies that
    ANY standard reader is simply unable to provide. Unless you have *
    huge storage and enough processing to store and archive the things
    that might happen anywhere at anytime.

    I'm telling you its super easy to search the discussions and day to
    day issuse via google's interface (google groups). Sure, news readers
    are fine if you are focusing defined domains and don't have dynamic
    areas to explore.

    ali

    Ali, Oct 27, 2007
  11. karthikbalaguru

    CBFalconer Guest

    I was not criticizing him, just pointing out the effects he is
    causing. He is posting through google groups - see the
    Organization header.

    CBFalconer, Oct 28, 2007
  12. karthikbalaguru

    Jerry Avins Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    Many of us do some of the time. McLuhan to the contrary, it's not the
    medium and the message aren't one and the same. the message.

    Jerry

    Jerry Avins, Oct 28, 2007
  13. karthikbalaguru

    Jerry Avins Guest

    Eh? That's not what I wrote. I wrote

    McLuhan to the contrary, the medium and the message aren't one and the
    same.

    Jerry

    Jerry Avins, Oct 28, 2007
  14. Ok, Thx for the information . :):)

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Oct 30, 2007
  15. karthikbalaguru

    karthikbg Guest

    Ok, Thx of that information. :):)

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbg, Oct 30, 2007
  16. That document is very interesting.
    Thx for that link/document.

    But, it did not address my queries regarding XIP(Execute in Place) &
    cost factors.

    a) Is there any other specific configuration to look for while
    selecting the Flash Memory while going in for XIP ?

    b) Is there any specific Block dedicated for performing XIP
    in either Boot Block Flash Memories or Uniform Block
    Flash Memories(Normal Flash Memories)?

    c) Cost factors

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Nov 5, 2007
  17. Thx for the information provided by you , Norbert van Bolhuis and
    others in all
    these groups. It has given me some good information .

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Nov 5, 2007
  18. Yes.

    Speed!

    Any recent microcontroller needs a fast source of code. For XIP, your flash
    should have a asychronous or synchronous page mode.

    regards

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Mües, Nov 5, 2007