Boot external firewire harddisk for ASUS laptop?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by David L, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    My laptop has no boot floppy, it has a DVD reader and firewire and USB
    2 ports.

    I would like the external harddisk connected thru firewire to be the
    boot device for the laptop.

    Is that possible? The firewire link to external harddisk works under
    Windows XP Pro, but I want to use the preloaded OS on the external
    harddisk instead.

    If this is not possible, can I get a USB flash drive and use that as a
    boot device? If possible, then I will install a barebone OS on the USB
    drive, and somehow get DOS based firewire drivers (if exists), and use
    a install CD to make the installation on firewire harddisk.

    I am doing things the complicated way to avoid chance of laptop
    harddisk getting clobbered by the partition and OS management tasks on
    the connected firewire disk.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    David Liu
    18July 2003