Boot failure when SATA drives are connected

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rob, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I have an Asus A7pro and recently added a Silicon Image 3112 PCI-SATA card
    to it. If I have my DVD writer (Plextor 712) connected when I boot the PC I
    just get a "disk boot failure". All the OS etc. is on PATA drives, I am not
    trying to boot from SATA.

    When I initially got the card, it seemed to work ok but I was getting data
    corruption errors when burning DVDs (i.e. not the normal media errors but
    the wrong data ending up on the DVD). I updated the Asus bios and the SATA
    card bios (I'm using Sata Link not Sata raid on both the bios and driver)
    and this has cured the problem. I also checked the DVD writer on another
    machine and it's fine.

    If I boot without the DVD writer connected and then plug it in afterwards,
    it works ok. It's just a real pain to have to do this every time I reboot.

    I think this may be a drive letter problem i.e. somehow the presence of the
    DVD writer is changing the drive letters and the machine is trying to boot
    off the wrong disk (there is only one bootable disk in the system). For some
    reason the boot drive is F not C (not sure why this is or if it affects
    anything).

    Any ideas how to proceed?

    Thanks,

    Rob..