    USB. It will have USB 1.0, which will be too slow at boot, so CF-IDE
    is probably my best bet, right?

    Andrew

    andrew0812, May 18, 2006

  2. Sure, it'll work, just replace the hard drive with a PCMCIA card
    adapter and go at it. Note, however, that Windows will not run (long)
    on this setup, as it constantly writes stuff, and CF has a limited
    number of write cycles...

    What does the floppy drive have to do with anything?

    William P.N. Smith, May 18, 2006

  3. andrew0812

    andrew0812 Guest

    I'll be using linux with no swap.

    I was under the impression that to get something to boot from the
    PCMCIA slots, you had to chain it with a bootloader. All the info I
    have seen talks of boot floppies and such, to either boot PCMCIA
    microdrives, or PCMCIA CD-ROMs.

    Have you done this before? To be clear, I am talking of using a PCMCIA
    to CF adapter, not an IDE to CF adapter.

    Andrew

    andrew0812, May 18, 2006
  4. Oops, I missed that detail. Nope, the only thing I can think of (I'm
    assuming the machine can't boot from USB) is an IDE->CF adapter.

    PCMCIA drivers can get really ugly, and there are several different
    incompatable chipsets. None of the recent boot disks I've seen can
    talk to them, and I don't think I've _ever_ seen a laptop with a "boot
    from PCMCIA" option.

    IDE->CF adapters are cheap, what's wrong with that solution?

    William P.N. Smith, May 18, 2006
  5. You might want to visit the following links and see if they answer your
    questions.

    (Research into Booting a Linux System with an IDE - Compact Flash Adapter)
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/4898
    (Booting Linux from Compact Flash)
    http://silent.gumph.org/content/4/1/011-linux-on-cf.html
    (Linux-2200)