Boot from "Removable Dev."

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Puddin' Man, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I wrote a bootable 4 gb USB stick with Easeus Part. Mngr. some weeks ago.
    Set the Asus bios (P7H55D-M EVO) to boot from "Removable Dev.". It failed
    to boot.

    Just wrote another bootable 4 gb USB stick with Ubuntu 10.4, also failed
    to boot from "Removable Dev.", but I found that if I hit F8 from Asus
    splash-screen, it identified the Sandisk stick and allowed boot.

    When I boot from CD, it checks the drive, finds some boot code, and boots.
    I expected it to do the same when set to boot from "Removable Dev.", but
    it doesn't.

    There's only one CD drive. There are numerous USB connectors. It is maybe
    too lazy to check them all???

    After about 14 months, I'm -still- getting used to this board. :)

    Thx,

    Puddin' Man, Jul 31, 2011

  2. Puddin' Man

    Foke Guest

    I have the P7P55D and I've never been able to boot from a USB stick
    without first pressing F8.

    Foke, Aug 1, 2011

  3. I agree with the OP's argument, but I've become resigned to F8 at startup.

    Bill Anderson, Aug 1, 2011
  4. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    Well, the intricacies of booting from USB are different from those of the El
    Torito CD . So, maybe such differences explain the little mystery and *all*
    bios/board pairings require something like the Asus F8 to boot. Eh?

    Anybody seen a board which -will- boot directly from a USB device (same as
    from CD) without bringing up some kinda menu?

    This stuff is all new to po' me.

    Puddin' Man, Aug 5, 2011