    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect

    to Father Time, Jan 8, 2004

  2. to Father Time

    Tim Guest

    Here it is:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect

    The config:

    8nkxp with bios f9 - f6 until 2 days ago, no config changes, "seems OK".
    Intel Ich5r sata port 0 = boot drive.
    IDE Primary Master is a PATA drive.

    Bios is set to boot off SATA - the new F9 lists the drive details, so the
    disc on SATA port 0 is the one picked out ( ST3120023AS, rather than the
    ST3800023A which is on PATA). This bios is actually clear on what you will
    boot from.

    The ICH5R is configured as raid, with raid drivers and IAA installed. IAA
    runs and tells me I have a non-raid config.

    Here is the first part of the IAA report:

    Intel(R) Application Accelerator RAID Edition, 3.0.0.2246
    Friday, 9 January 2004 1:28:39 p.m. (Local)
    Friday, 9 January 2004 12:28:39 a.m. (GMT)

    Operating System
    Windows XP Professional (Build 5.1.2600, Service Pack 1)

    Platform Information
    Processor Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor
    Processor level: Family 15
    Processor Revision: Model 2 Stepping 9
    Active Processor Mask: 3
    Number of Processors: 2

    RAID Controller Information
    IDE Controller: Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller, ICH5R
    Storage Kit Build(s): 3.0.0.2246,
    Storage Kit Installed: 3.0.0.2246
    Driver Version: 3.5.0.2568
    SATA Mode Support: Generation 1
    Disk Timeout Value: Default
    Flush Enable: Default, Disabled

    RAID Device Information
    Port0: ST3120023AS
    Model: ST3120023AS
    Firmware: 3.01
    Device Type: ATA - Fixed
    LBA (28-bit maximum): 0x0DF94BB0
    LBA (48-bit maximum): 0x00000DF94BB0
    CHS: 3FFF x 0010 x 003F
    CHS Sectors: 0x00FBFC10
    Disk Size (28-bit maximum): 111.8 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Disk Size: 111.8 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Current SATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1

    Tim, Jan 9, 2004

  3. to Father Time

    John Smith Guest

    Why do you need the boot.ini? I just set my bios boot sequence and I was
    good to go...

    John Smith, Jan 9, 2004
  4. I used drive-copy software to copy my XP partion from my pata drive to my
    sata drive.

    If you copy drives (NT, XP), then you have to manually set up your boot.ini
    if the two drives are not similar.

    I am not sure what the proper boot.ini would look like for a sata boot
    drive.

    So if people with varous working sata configurations post them (their
    boot.ini content), it will provide a road map for others who are in the
    process of setting up their sata drives.

    Kind Regards

    Father Time

    to Father Time, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Thanks Tim,

    Your sata boot.ini looks like my current pata boot.ini.

    I have the promise sata on the Asus A7V8x.

    I beleive that you have a newer board?

    Kind Regards,

    Father Time

    to Father Time, Jan 9, 2004
  6. to Father Time

    Doug Ramage Guest

    I cloned rather copy my drive with Ghost, after having installed the SATA
    drivers for my SATA drive via Device Manager. No problems booting.

    Doug Ramage, Jan 9, 2004