Boot from USB Flash Drive - IBM Thinkpad T30

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Shashi, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. Shashi

    Shashi Guest

    I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 with BIOS version 2.08. What I want to do
    is boot off of my USB Flash Drive. It has a DOS program on it which
    can only be run in DOS and my thinkpad has winxp. What I did was
    create a bootable USB Flash Drive and it will boot into dos.

    I connect the drive and then go into bios. I can see that the drive
    is recognized. I go in and change the boot order to boot off of the
    drive and it works. If I remove the drive, and then put it back in
    the boot order resets back to the original boot order.

    What I want to do is get it such that I can plug the USB Flash drive
    in and the computer will boot from the it everytime. I don't want to
    have to go into BIOS every time I want to boot from the USB Flash
    drive. Is there a way to get the BIOS to recognize the USB Flash
    drive and boot from it before it boots from the harddisk?

    I noticed that "Removable Device" boots before Harddisk. Is there a
    way to get the USB Flash Drive to be recognized as a removeable device
    rather than a harddisk?

    Any and all help will be appriciated.

    Thanks.

    Shashi, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Shashi

    MAG Guest

    George-

    I've tried to do what you are describing, and never found an answer
    despite emails to IBM and googling my computer silly.

    You might try posting on the new IBM Thinkpad Forums.
    Forums.Thinkpads.com. This is a relatively new forum that came into
    existence after I gave up on this project.

    If you find an answer, please post it here.

    Marc

    MAG, Nov 8, 2004