boot problem on kt7a when the tower has been used for a while

Discussion in 'Abit' started by erik©, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. erik©

    erik© Guest

    I got a strange problem on my mobo.
    When I boot it up in the morning it doesn't show any problem. It even
    restarts fine.
    But when the computer has been on for a while and I shut it down it hangs
    after a cold boot.
    When I let it cool down for half a hour it starts fine again.

    I hear a short beep after booting up in the morning.
    When the tower has been warmed up for a while and trying a cold boot I hear
    a long first beep then I see nothing appear on the screen not even the
    memory shows up.

    I suspect using a palomino 2000+ for a while which became very hot. And
    might have damaged some other parts on the mobo or the memory.
    I use now a 2400+ that stays a lot cooler.

    How could I solve the problem?

    erik©, Nov 25, 2004

  2. erik©

    Fireclown Guest

    AWARD BIOS Beep Sound Message
    1 short (Beep) System booting is normally.
    2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error
    1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR
    1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
    1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error
    1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error
    Long (Beep) continuous DRAM hasn't inset correctly.
    Short (Beep) continuous POWER supply has problem.

    Fireclown, Nov 26, 2004

  3. erik©

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Sorry, why do you suspect damage on the memory?

    ESD damage often expresses itself as hyper temperature sensitivity.
    For CMOS (cpu and motherboard) the warmer things get the worse they
    perform. Be sure your using the static protection procedures outlined
    in the motherboard manual.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Nov 27, 2004
  4. erik©

    erik© Guest

    I just found out it has to be a display card error.
    It gives 1 long and 2 short beeps.
    But I find it strange that this only happens from a cold boot after using
    the computer for a while.
    It doesn't happen when I boot the computer for the first time at a day.

    erik©, Nov 27, 2004
  5. If it's thermal like that, try re-seating (remove, clean, re-insert and
    try again).

    Brian Brunner, Nov 29, 2004
  6. erik©

    erik© Guest