Boot to slave on primary IDE controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goss, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. goss

    goss Guest

    Hi ng.

    System specs:
    MB Soyo Dragon Platinum edition
    CPU Intel P4 2.53GH
    RAM 786MB

    Have 60G Maxtor j'd to Mstr
    10G Western Digital j'd to Slave

    A look at CMOS during boot confirms 2 IDE devices as I want on Primary
    2 IDE devices on secondary: CD and CD Burner

    Running win2k pro on both drives
    When login screen appears, as though no setup previously.
    Screen is default to win2k pro install with basic drivers for video
    Unable to login. No mouse, no keyboard input accepted

    Shut down. Removed slave drive
    Now all works as expected

    Any tips as to what is going on?
    TIA
    goss

    goss, Dec 26, 2003

  2. goss

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Dec 26, 2003

  3. goss

    goss Guest

    Thanks Ron

    The drive will boot as master in a different system
    I want to make it slave so i can backup/fdisk/reinstall

    I will try your suggestion of switching IDE devices around
    and respond with outcome

    tia
    goss

    goss, Dec 26, 2003
  4. goss

    goss Guest

    Ron

    Switched all IDE devices around still would not work
    Took both CD ROM out od mix.
    Now Mater on C-1
    Slave on C-2

    Still booted to Slave
    Curious.
    I installed basic video driver and backed up wht I needed so I can fdisk
    away

    Thanks for your help
    -goss

    goss, Dec 28, 2003