    Windows on this machine and do not want Windows on this machine.

    Is there a stand-alone bootable diagnostics disc -- Linux or DOS?

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jan 19, 2012

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I keep Parted Magic and GParted Live handy. These and many others at:

    http://www.livecdlist.com/

    Puddin'

    Puddin' Man, Jan 19, 2012

  3. Percival P. Cassidy

    Paul Guest

    For new or obscure hardware, it's best to check the level of Linux support
    by Googling the processor family ("llano") or chipset ("A75" "Hudson D3")
    and so on. Depending on the feedback you get, it might not even be worth burning
    a Linux CD. While a number of interfaces on hardware are standardized,
    there are some areas of Linux with rough edges (I've had problems with
    the early code that checks for VT-X/Hyper-V and virtualized environments).

    You have the option of using BartPE PEbuilder and a Windows install CD,
    to build a WinPE (preboot environment) disc. I've only done that once, and
    did all my initial testing in VMs (virtual machines under VirtualPC 2007).
    Once I had enough apps loaded and the disc image was booting in the VM, I
    could consider burning an actual physical CD. That doesn't install Windows,
    but does give a command prompt. And I was able to load a few utilities in
    there. The nuisance part, is burning a new CD when you add new utilities.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartpe

    My main problem with my Bartpe CD sitting next to me, is I can't remember
    now what utilities are inside it :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 19, 2012
  4. I do have a BartPE CD created with Macrium Reflect on a Win7Pro machine,
    but what I need is something to check the onboard timer/clock on this
    machine.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jan 19, 2012
  5. Percival P. Cassidy

    Rob Guest

    Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) is also worth having in your armoury:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Rob, Jan 20, 2012
  6. I downloaded the latest, but I don't see any tool that will tell me
    about any clock/timing problems. Moreover, the tools on that CD that
    I've tried so far result in:

    PANIC: MCB chain corrupted
    System Halted

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jan 20, 2012
  7. Percival P. Cassidy

    Paul Guest

    Did you search on the error string ? This one doesn't have an
    answer, but seems to be suggesting FreeDOS is involved.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 20, 2012