    I purchased an A7N8X motherboard and placed my old chip into it. Turned
    out the chip was fried in my old system too. But it seems that it may
    have toasted the ASUS board now. Can chips cook boards???

    Booger, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Booger

    Paul Guest

    Yes.

    For that matter, any component in a computer, that has a power to
    I/O signal short, could cook whatever it gets plugged into. So
    problems like this are not limited to just processors. That is why,
    if a friend calls up, and asks "can I come over and test my duff
    processor", just say no.

    Was the processor working in the old motherboard, before you upgraded ?
    Or was the purpose of the upgrade, to fix what you thought was a
    bad motherboard ? With Athlons, sometimes you can tell by the
    discoloration of the chip, if there was a thermal problem (i.e. chip
    overheated or fried somehow). Sometimes you can even see a mark in
    the heatsink.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Booger

    Booger Guest

    Freaky thing is Paul; there is no discoloration on the chip whatsoever.
    It just failed, Now the question is, what fried the chip? I am fearful
    of plugging another chip into the motherboard so I'll set it aside until
    I get my chips in. I will use my old 1700 chip to test the old board.
    But I have discovered the answers in the time it took to get a reply

    Thanks

    Booger, Oct 20, 2004