    It's very essential to me. Do you know any tool for editing the BIOS of my
    Acer? Or maybe how to edit it via hex-editor?

    Thx in advance.

    raider, Sep 14, 2006

  2. raider

    Ron Krebs Guest

    Nope, and Acer doesn't want you to do this because of security issues and
    licensing issues with MS. Furthermore, some flash drives aren't even
    recognized as bootable by the BIOS even if they are formatted that way. I
    have a Corsair Voyager and these are NOT recognized by Acer Notebooks as
    bootable. However, other USB flash drives are. The Transcend Jetflash I just
    got is recognized and WILL boot into a PE as long as the USB boot devices
    are listed higher in priority than either the HDD or the DVD. On my 5672 I
    can also enable the boot menu thru the BIOS so that I have the option during
    POST to select any bootable drive (via F12). The BIOSes on notebooks have
    always been notoriously skimpy and the mfg-ers will not change that despite
    the pleading by its customers. There are almost NO meaningful user
    configurable options in notebook BIOS'.

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 14, 2006

  3. raider

    raider Guest

    Our unacquainted friend 'Ron Krebs' enlightened us thusly:
    MS? Well i do not use Redmond software, Linux only mate.
    And btw it's my hardware so sorry but I don't care what Acer wants.
    I need to boot a USB2-HDD, and Linux only.
    I can choos only between CDROM and HDD.
    I got it too, but there is no USB listed. So i want to enable it in BIOS.
    I know it's there.
    I know. So i'm just asking if someone has already hacked the BIOS of that
    particullar laptop so i don't have to hack it myself. ;)

    Thx mate anyway.

    raider, Sep 15, 2006
  4. raider

    Ron Krebs Guest

    I know and agree. Just wasn't sure you were aware of the reasons.
    First, I'm not sure any Acer will recognize USB 2.0 while in real mode.
    POST shows all of my USB2's as 1.1.
    Second, have you seen your USB drive listed in the BIOS boot order screen?
    If not, you have three options. One, forget about booting your USB drive
    (doubtful you'll settle for that). Two, wait for some bloke to create a
    custom BIOS and/or BIOS hack program, unless you want to give it a go (if
    you find one, please post it as I have been requesting this on many NGs).
    And three, try another Flash drive if that's what you're using. If you must
    use a regular 3.5 inch HDD, have you tried using an IDE to USB adapter? It
    works for me. I have successfully booted from regular desktop HDDs such as
    Maxtor, IBM, WD, and Hitachi by using this Bytech IDE/USB adapter. No
    enclosure is even needed. It comes with it's own four pin power plug AC
    cable and 80-pin to USB adapter cord. I simply set the HDD on the table,
    hook it up, and the Acer sees it and boots from it with zero problems. I've
    booted many times with Linux based shells. IIRC, Knoppix is one. For me this
    is too cumbersome. SO i opt for the flash drive method. And have been on
    the holy grail quest for a BIOS hack program ever since. Haven't found it
    yet, but at least I've found a flash drive that will work.
    Is your source HDD formatted as bootable? How is it connected to the Acer?
    AFAIK, the F1 enable/disable of boot drives is a phantom function. It
    simply DOES NOT work. Even with drives that ARE seen by the Acer BIOS. All
    I ever get are beeps when I try that. Same thing with the R and F functions
    for designating the drives as either fixed or removable. Completely shut
    down by Acer. I suggest they remove those options if they want to bail out
    on us like that.
    Look into the ByTecc IDE/USB adapter. It will work with any 2.5, 3.5, or
    5.25 inch HDDs.

    Ron Krebs, Sep 16, 2006
  5. raider

    io_yael

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Acer aspire does have UBS flash memory option

    Hi all
    I just found The Aspire 3620 have the posibility of a USB boot, you have to go to the BIOS options, BOOT and in the list choose Hard Drive and push ENTER (plug the USB memory before you go to the bios options) and there, will see the USB memory.

    So now you can BOOT with your USB flash memory.

    Have fun

    Is retarded I know
    People will die knowing that their Aspire 3620 with Phoenix BIOS was not supporting this feature...

    io_yael, Apr 19, 2010