booting with bad HD

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ps56k, Dec 12, 2013.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    A friend has an old HP TC4400 laptop.
    It was sold off from the local school district,
    and was running fine for awhile.

    It will not boot,
    and in removing the SATA drive - it does not init on another laptop USB,
    but other SATA drives work fine in the same USB carrier.
    So - it appears to be bad/dead.

    Now - the TC4400 has no CD/DVD to try various testing.
    Most all of my other laptops and drives are still IDE,
    but I do have one that is SATA.

    Even if I copy or clone a drive image onto a new SATA drive,
    install it into the failing laptop,
    is there going to be a problem trying to boot from the IDE clone image
    onto the SATA expecting hardware ??

    ie - does the Boot manger and other related files/drivers
    expect the environment to be SATA,
    when all the files say it is IDE ?

    ELSE -
    I'll have to figure out to create a total backup clone image
    from my Dell E6400 SATA laptop to an external USB SATA drive...
    and then try and use that -
    OR - will I still have probs/conflicts with other "drivers" - screen, etc -

    ps56k, Dec 12, 2013

  2. ps56k

    mike Guest

    what's the definition of "will not boot?"
    Exactly what happens, BIOS? POST? can't read disk? Can't
    find OS? Aborts in the middle?
    The devil is in the details.

    OS??? windows? which? linux? which? OSX ???
    Init?
    Laptop USB?

    on another laptop USB,
    Probably, but can't really tell anything from what you've said.
    That's been my experience with windows.
    Probably not the reason you said, but the symptom end point is
    no boot.
    If you're determined to torture yourself, do some googling. Put a small
    os like Puppy Linux onto a thumb drive and boot that to see if everything
    else works.
    Got a USB CD drive? Try booting the windows install disk or live linux
    disk from that.

    mike, Dec 12, 2013